Advice and information

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

LarnerG

Advice and information

Post by LarnerG »

Hello
I am looking at buying a baby grand but really don’t know much. I have only recently started to learn. I am in Australia and have found a beautiful old Baby grand piano 1928 Weissbrod. It’s white and looks lovely. So the add reads:

She is freshly tuned and ready to grace any French provinical interior with Liberace-like flair. Ivory coloured with ornate legs (Chippendale style) this piano is a very eye catching piece. Freshly tuned, lovely sound and solid German brand, selling as we are downsizing and this gorgeous piano deserves room to wow. Happy to give our piano expert's details and have video of her being played.

I have contacted the lady who has sent me pics of her playing and videos of minor scratched and scuffs.

The price is just under $5000 Australian but is negotiable.

Problem is I am 2 states away which is around 3400km. Is it safe to transport a piano this far even using proper removalist?

Also are these pianos very good as I could find much info.

I have tried to attach pictures with no success as I am on my iPhone.

Any advice or information would be great let appreciated.
Thankyou kindly
Gillian
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice and information

Post by Barrie Heaton »

When it comes to secondhand pianos names are useless it's all depending on how the piano is being looked after and how much it's been played.

I would contact the seller and find out who last tuned it call them see what they have to say.

I'll get a local technician to nip round and look at it.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
LarnerG

Post by LarnerG »

Thanks Barry
I have contacted the person who last tuned it to see what information he can offer.
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

I'd leave your chequebook at home and play as many pianos as you can. You will then have a good idea of what you like and what you don't. Then try the Weissbrod and see how it matches up. If would only buyt a hundred year old piano with a good name in good condition. YWeissbrod was a good name. you will need to pay for a technician's report to assess how much it will cost to bring it up to scratch.