How much should I be looking to spend on a piano in this situation

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Plintzserg

How much should I be looking to spend on a piano in this situation

Post by Plintzserg »

I'm an ok pianist, achieved grade 8 as a kid and went to conservatoire (although piano wasn't my first instrument and I only play for fun now). I like playing a mixture of things - my favourites are probably Chopin and bach but I really enjoy stride/swing/blues piano solos too. I don't want something rubbish because I'm not a beginner but I don't even know what I should be looking for.

I've never owned an acoustic piano. I have only had a digital piano but... I'm just so fed up of it. It's like playing on a horrible, plasticky fake thing and it sounds jangly and digital. I just want to make real music. Never had an acoustic one as a kid because my parents couldn't afford one and we had it in the living room so being able to make it silent was quite important.

The issue I have is that i still don't have a room which would be very suitable for a piano. It would have to fit into an alcove in my kitchen, where I currently keep my digital one. The room is about 6m long and so it would be kept at the other end of the room, away from cooking area. But there could still be a bit of steam from boiling etc. The other issue is that it's next to patio doors. There isn't currently a curtain up so I guess it would be colder next to the glass at night, but a curtain is about to be fitted. Sunlight comes through onto it late afternoon and evening.

My husband gets a bit 'stressed' by the sound of me playing piano when he's in the same room trying to do something and I know that it could be a bit much if other people were in the room and the sound will travel up the the kids bedrooms at night. The alcove also backs onto the living room and the sound travels into there too. I know I could put the practise pedal on but have no idea how much sound they really block.

I just had a quick look at the Yamaha b series which I think were smaller, cheaper ones which had the option of using headphones, but then I saw somebody mentioning that it might not be good for very long since they're grade 5. If a £3000 piano isn't good enough for a grade 5 pianist then how much should I be expecting to spend?? £3000 is already more than I thought would be necessary.
Plintzserg

Re: How much should I be looking to spend on a piano in this situation

Post by Plintzserg »

Actually, I'm not an 'ok' pianist, I am a fairly accomplished pianist. I don't think I should play down my ability on a piano forum of all places! And I feel like I'm stuck playing on a child's toy. I don't want to be held back by my instrument anymore. I experienced much frustration at music college and had to be loaned a violin as the one I had simply wasn't good enough for the level I was playing at and my parents couldn't afford anything else. I'm at a stage of life now where I think it's worth spending on something which will bring me so much joy. My children aren't interested in learning so it will be all for me :) the intention was to eventually move to a house with another downstairs room which could be used a music room but I don't know whether that will ever happen.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

My piano teacher recently moved into a smaller house and replaced her Yamaha GB1 grand with a Yamaha B2 upright fitted with a silent system. She is still getting used to the acoustic side of the piano but likes the silent system very much as she plays late at night with headphones. I am sure you will be able to acquire a good upright with a £3000 budget but it is likely to be secondhand and without the silent system. Roberts pianos in Oxford have a number of Knight, Welmar and Kemble uprights in stock,all of which would easily cope with grade 8 pieces. You can also find pianos for sale on https://www.facebook.com/groups/PianoForSaleUK
Good luck.
PS Secondhand pianos that come without the middle pedal damping mechanism can be fitted with one and they do very much mute the sound. I played for many years with the celeste (as it is called) engaged but not every pianist likes to do so.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

This advert gives an indication of a quality instrument that can be found.https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listi ... attachment
rgreig
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by rgreig »

I am an amateur pianist and I went through a process of trying to figure out how much I should spend on a piano about a decade ago (and I posted questions on this forum too!). My advice from that experience would be to go to several different piano dealers and try a number of different instruments at different price points - you will quickly see what extra money gets you.

I found that there was a significant difference as you spend more money and ended up increasing my budget significantly from what I had originally thought I would spend. I bought a new Grotrian in the end and have never regretted it.

One other thought from left field a bit is don't discount the more advanced digital pianos if you are concerned about noise - when I was a student I lived in a flat and owned a Yamaha GT20 (now discontinued and replaced by the AvantGrant) which has the action from an upright - totally different from Clavinova. Second hand you may get one in budget.

Robert