Hellas upright - valuation

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tjames1

Hellas upright - valuation

Post by Tjames1 »

I'm regrettably having to sell on the family piano, as I've moved into a house that can't accomodate it. It's a Hellas, all mahogany, c. 1970s. From what I gather Hellas are fairly rare in the UK and are one of the few Finnish piano manufacturers. We actually got it shipped over from my grandmother's house in Finland. I had a local piano dealer come and have a look and he said it was worth around £500.. does that sound about right? My grandmother was under the impression it was worth about 3000 euros but perhaps that's the equivalent of what it cost her new in the 1970s.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Piano
Piano
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Hellas upright - valuation

Post by chrisw »

Are Hellas still in business.? If so you could send them the serial number and they will tell you the date of manufacture. It does look more recent than 1970 because it has a third pedal.
There is a disclaimer on this forum that it is impossible to value pianos but in my opinion the offer made by the dealer would appear to be fair.
Tjames1

Re: Hellas upright - valuation

Post by Tjames1 »

Thank you. I'm not looking for anything accurate but a ball-park figure will do, so I know I'm not getting ripped off.