Rescued piano, case restoring, and storage

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Annalaurie

Rescued piano, case restoring, and storage

Post by Annalaurie »

Hi all,
I have a few questions:
Some years ago, we were lucky enough to be given the opportunity to rescue a Bluthner grand piano from a building site (a college that was closing down its music department). It is a 6'4" piano and has the number 73133 inside. Would the number be a clue as to its age?
The exterior has suffered somewhat at the hands of students over the years, and perhaps from being worked around by builders, but the sound is fine so far. We have moved several times and have not had it tuned since the last move (a few years) but it plays beautifully in tune. I am not the true pianist in the family - that would be my daughter - I just 'try' when I can. The only thing I have noticed is when my hesitant fingers try to play something, occasionally a key will just 'thunk' softly and not make a sound unless I repeat the note more firmly - any ideas as to what could be happening there? It doesn't seem to happen so much when my daughter plays.
I am thinking of having the case restored. I don't have a lot of money, but I want the piano to look like it deserves to look. Any recommendations? A name has been given to me - how do I find out how good this person is?
Lastly, I am on the move again (I am in Hampshire) and will likely have to store the piano for as much as 6 months. Most piano storage companies have said they store the piano on its side - is this ok? I think it will be well nigh impossible to find someone with the space to store it on its feet. The restorer I have been given the name of could store it for me and that would also be on its side.
Thanks very much for any answers to my queries.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rescued piano, case restoring, and storage

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There are very few companies that will store a Grand Pianos on their feet, if it's more than a year then it can be a problem, the pressure on the veneer on the bass end of the piano and the hammers may move offline from the strings because of the downward force of gravity.

To the skipping notes that will be a combination of regulating and age. If it's the old Blüthner action, she will need regulating at least every seven years on a normally played piano. If it's roller action could be the rollers are very worn and the jacks are slipping from underneath.

Once the piano comes out of storage, get a good tuner technician to service the piano this will be an all-day job and they may need to change some parts.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page