Bosendorfer advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Yardbird71

Bosendorfer advice

Post by Yardbird71 »

Hello, I would be very grateful if someone could offer me some advice. I have been offered a Bosendorfer that is currently situated in a cafe. But, the owner is being very cagey about price and insists that I make him an offer rather than give me a ball park figure. I suspect, like me, he doesn't know much about pianos. The serial number is 3774

What do members think a sensible starting offer might be? 10 euros? 10,000 euros? I have no idea. So any ball park figures would be appreciated, just to get me started.
Yours, in anticipation and with gratitude,
Nick
Attachments
open lid.jpg
strings.jpg
open lid.jpg
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bosendorfer advice

Post by Barrie Heaton »

She has nice turned legs, it is about circa 1850-ish also it will have the old Bosendorfer action.

Well, the owner is offering you €100 to take it away that's how I would look at that piano. It's a potential Moneypit unless you're a collector, happy to spend a lot of money on it. Not a piano for a serious musician too old, of course, you could always tune it to meantone, play period pieces record them for youtube.

Having said the above that is going off your serial number she is overstrung and I'm not sure when Bosendorfer introduced overstringing it was invemted in 1820 stineway did it in 1850,s

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Yardbird71

Post by Yardbird71 »

Thank you....I suspected it was not going to be viable. And you have confirmed it. I will continue my hunt for a suitable instrument. I'm looking for something that can be played at concert pitch for accompanying as I am a wind player by trade. I just love the look of the older pianos..so many nice features..but no good to me if they aren't functional.
I have a grand piano sized space in my front room....now just need to fill it!
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Kind Regards,
Nick
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you like period style Piano turned legs and anything but black Blüthner make a modern version may have some secondhand ones in your budget..

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page