New piano advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

goffcritchley

New piano advice

Post by goffcritchley »

Hi there
I am in the market for a new piano
My budget is around £50,000 but that is absolute top end, and ideally I'd spend a bit less unless it was magical
My preference is for some kind of Steinway, a B has always been the dream but I'm pretty sure it'd be a refurb at that level and I'm just not confident about buying a rebuild for both quality and long term value, especially given the cost. I would like to end up with something that won't need totally rebuilding again after 10 years (because it was done badly, etc)

Does anyone have any other brand considerations at this level, or what I should be looking for when buying a second hand piano in general??
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: New piano advice

Post by chrisw »

I recently had the pleasure of playing a friend's twenty year old Steinway B. He obtained it secondhand from a well known dealer in the last year but I would imagine it would have cost more than £50,000 although I do not know what price he paid. It is a gorgeous piano in every respect.

On the other hand I do not believe you need spend this amount for an excellent piano. The top quality German pianos, Bluthner, Beckstein, Grotian etc will be a similar price to Steinway. Suggest that you also look at the top of the range Yamaha and Kawai models.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you're looking for a reconditioned Steinway try Geoffrey shackles or Iain Gordon
Both do very nice reconditioned Steinways.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

If you are still looking, you could talk to Piano Restorations, Roberts Pianos, Hurstwood Farm and perhaps spend a day in London playing pianos.

To state the obvious you best bet is to find a little used instrument from the brands like those Chris mentioned, one you find magical.

If you are dead set on a Steinway I'd follow Barrie's advice and, just in case, see if any are available privately that are worth a look.
goffcritchley

Post by goffcritchley »

Just thought I’d update
I bought a brand new Sauter 185 in the end
The Steinways were just not right at that price point
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Nice one, now don't forget you need to have it tuned at least four weeks after it's been installed in your house. Then, tune it in three months and four months then every six months until the piano settles down.

It's very important that the piano is tuned at least three times in its first year that helps with its longevity and stability over time..

They're nice make, enjoy.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
goffcritchley

Post by goffcritchley »

Thanks I will do. I get my piano tuned once a quarter now as I’m sensitive to anything that sounds remotely out so that will continue

The more I think about it the more I was obsessed by the name Steinway and not the piano or the sound. At the 40-50k price I was looking at they were either very marginal older instruments that would need serious cash spending on them in the next ten years or rebuilds which just didn’t sound or feel right. I played Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Shigeru, Yamaha, Schimmel and Sauter was a name I’d never heard of and hadn’t even taken it seriously but as soon as I sat down and played it it was remarkable - a fabulous action and a transparent crisp sound quite akin to a Fazioli to my ears. The build quality compared to Steinway was also sensational

I just know I would have regretted dropping 50 on a knackered Steinway B and I’m thankful I didn’t now and I have a brand new craftsperson built piano that will last a lifetime with good maintenance !! I have attached a pic I hope it shows up
476C91BF-7DBB-4125-92E0-08A58032C03C.jpeg
Last edited by goffcritchley on 10 Oct 2021, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.