Offenbach vs halle & Voigt vs Steinhoven ?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

icey_ya

Offenbach vs halle & Voigt vs Steinhoven ?

Post by icey_ya »

Dear All,

Please help! I have my budget set, and I am looking for a baby grand. In my budget, I have the option of a 1980s Offenbach, OR for £1K more, I can buy a brand new Halle & Voight or Steinhoven. I'm confused what to do. I'm a novice piano player, and hope to continue to play (now the kids are older) and would like it to last me the next 10-15 years.

Thanking you in advance!
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Offenbach vs halle & Voigt vs Steinhoven ?

Post by chrisw »

The best advice I can offer is to go and play all three to determine which one sounds the best and which one feels good under the fingers. If the Offenbach wins ask an independent tuner/piano technician to check it for wear. Provided the Offenbach is in good condition all three options should easily last 10-15 years. Are all of these pianos the same size and is the Offenbach being offered by a reputable dealer with a guarantee ?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I would pay a tuner to go and look at the 1980s Offenbach

The Steinhoven is a very basic entry Pianos, like we used to say about spring loops. They spent more money on the case than they have on the insides. A very basic entry Piano if you spend a day as a tech on them, they are still not great. A lot of my colleagues called them pretty boxes with strings in .

Having said that a lot of people do get a lot of pleasure out of the Steinhoven

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
icey_ya

Post by icey_ya »

chrisw wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 22:31 The best advice I can offer is to go and play all three to determine which one sounds the best and which one feels good under the fingers. If the Offenbach wins ask an independent tuner/piano technician to check it for wear. Provided the Offenbach is in good condition all three options should easily last 10-15 years. Are all of these pianos the same size and is the Offenbach being offered by a reputable dealer with a guarantee ?
Thank you! Yes - the offenbach is by a reputable dealer. Both are similar sizes, the offenbach is a slightly smaller baby grand.