Ibach versus Bechstein

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

clippycloppy

Ibach versus Bechstein

Post by clippycloppy »

My son is progressing through his grades rapidly so we have decided to buy a piano. We are very lucky to have the offer of two pianos from members of our extended family.

So I don't offend anyone and cause a family feud I would greatly appreciate people's opinions on which would be the best choice. As both have pros and cons.

One is a Bechstien from turn of the 20th C it is in good condition and been looked after and tuned but is very big and very black.

The other is an Ibach & son, in a mahogany case but don't think it is as well looked after and quite a distance from us.

We can't get to see them in person before choosing so thought this would be the best place to get some good advice. Thanks in advance.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Ibach versus Bechstein

Post by chrisw »

In my opinion they are both very good makes but it is an impossible task to choose a used piano on name alone, especially when one could be 120 years old. You have to find a means of judging their condition. Determine when they were both last tuned and make contact with the tuners, or get the owners to contact the tuners and enquire the condition. Perhaps in this case you need to consider the appearance of the case and how it fits into your space.

If you were thinking of purchasing a piano prior to these offers being made perhaps it would be as well to persevere with that idea and get your son to make his own choice from somewhere more local.