Buying Advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

vsu419

Buying Advice

Post by vsu419 »

Hi, I live in the UK and am looking to buy a new piano in the next six months. I’m in my mid fifties, play other instruments but am relatively new to the piano. I’m torn between the Yamaha B3 and the Kawai K300. The Yamaha has a much better name but the Kawai seems to be a slightly better piano. I’d welcome people’s thoughts on the best one to buy. Thanks in anticipation 🙂
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying Advice

Post by Barrie Heaton »

K300 is a better piano its made in Japan
The B3 is made in Indonesia. and while a good piano it's not a patch on the K 300
if you want a Yamaha as good as the K300 you need to look at the U1

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I agree with Barrie that I would favour Kawai. Both are good pianos but I like the sound of Kawai better.
AG300

Post by AG300 »

I've had a Kawai K300 for a few years and am very happy with it. I much prefer it to the B3 I tried, but in the end it is down to personal preference.

One minor correction to what Barrie said - the K300 is also made in Indonesia (at least mine was), though some parts (e.g. the action) are made in Japan. However, I don't think that should influence your decision either way.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

K300 is made in both Japan and Indonesia but I believe the ones that are sold in the UK are made in Japan.

Update from the horse's mouth the UK get them from both Japan and Indonesia but the technicians do prefer the Indonesian ones as there is less voicing as they tend to voice for the European market.

There is a label at the back of the piano to state country of origin.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page