Schimmel Grand C189 vs K189

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

akhc

Schimmel Grand C189 vs K189

Post by akhc »

Hi all

I'm looking at a couple of Schimmels at the moment but am a little confused. If I understand correctly the K189 has been replaced by the K195 a little while back. Would a 17 year old K189 be better than a 10 year old C189 in terms of the construction of the piano?

I appreciate it will only be generalities of course and that playing both instruments is key. Also if you were in the market for a second hand grand with a budget ca £18-19k what would you be shopping for? For context, the piano would be for me (grade 8 standard but probably wouldn't play more than once a week if it weren't for the kids) and more importantly kiddies (grade 4ish but they are rapidly improving and will likely be taking the piano very seriously for the next 6-8 years before heading off to uni).

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Schimmel Grand C189 vs K189

Post by Barrie Heaton »

On paper, the Schlemiel K189 is a better buy. However, all secondhand pianos quality depends on how they've been looked after and the environment they've been in.

While it's difficult in the present situation, If you can I would sit in front of both of them and get a history of them.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
akhc

Post by akhc »

Thanks Barrie. It is a difficult time to be buying a piano and I've been putting it off over the last year because of COVID but I do like the Schimmel sparkle in the upper registers and I haven't seen that many used Ks up for sale in the last year. FWIW, both are I'm told in mint condition with light use and price wise the older K is 4k more than the C.

I'm trying to see if I can get access to both but that's not easy in the current climate.
Last edited by akhc on 12 Feb 2021, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Are they in the same place or two different places, as a side to side comparison is always a nice thing to do when you can? If they're in private homes find out who the piano tuner was and asked them.

4K would get you a nice holiday when we can, but it's a judgement call whether the older one is worth the 4K only you can make that call because it's down to how the piano feels and sounds.

Normally Schimmel Grand s tend to have a very light runaway action which is ideal for young children.

Myself I do you like the K230 it's a very well-balanced piano but it's 7 foot should be.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
akhc

Post by akhc »

They aren't unfortunately but in the meanwhile I saw a Grotrian 225 today that is only 13/14 years old and sounded incredible and only a little bit over budget so now I am even more confused :P. The living room is 30 x 17 so the piano will mean some rearranging of furniture but then again so would the K189 and I keep telling myself it's only a foot longer.

The dealer was pretty honest I think and went as far as to say that Grotrians/Schimmels were equivalent quality wise and both would serve the kids well.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

IMO Grotrian-Steinweg is far better than a Schlemiel, but the actions tend to be a little bit to a lot heavier than the Schimmel.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
akhc

Post by akhc »

Thanks for your answers Barrie. I've ended up putting a deposit down on the Grotrian. I thought hard about going to see the Schimmel K but difference in size won out. I know the Schimmel is supposed to have a lighter action but the Grotrian when I played it was surprisingly light compared to the Kemble Chopin upright I've got at home at present and for the kids a slightly heavier action is probably better for their development. The action was silky smooth and the repetition blows my upright out of the water. The tone was gorgeous and the integration between the upper and lower registers was beautiful. Now I have to wait two weeks to get it home!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Nice one, that's the one I would've gone for. The history of the company is quite interesting They actually covered up the Steinveg bit on Pianos that went to America.

Enjoy your new piano when it comes are you part-exchanging the Kemble or selling it privately.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
akhc

Post by akhc »

Thank you. It's nice to know it'd have been your choice too. I did some reading about Grotrian's past and it looks like they have been making good pianos for quite awhile. The seller actually said they have a much better following in Europe whereas here everyone just wants a Steinway!

I ended up part exchanging my Kemble. I think I probably could have got a fair bit more privately but then I'd have to advertise it and let people see it. And whilst I probably have enough space for both in the living room, having it away when the grand comes will make for easier rearranging of everything.