String maker advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

animesis

String maker advice

Post by animesis »

I'm getting my player piano restrung at the end of the year (discovered the bass bridge had split) and I'm not wondering about what make of strings. I've spoken to the chaps who are doing the work and asked what strings they use, the use Parkes of Dorset, but I have had Barney Unwin recommended. Unfortunately I have no experience of either and would greatly appreciate any advice.

There are several mentions of Barney Unwin's strings, and what I can find about Parkes is :
"Piano Strings
We supply sets and single strings for manufacturers, tuners, and reconditioners for all types of piano including upright, grand, concert grand and square grand. Plated or polished steel music wire, single or double covered, German, Continental or English loops.

We have been supplying strings all over the world for nearly 200 years. All strings use Degen copper wire spun onto Roslau round polished steel for the finest quality available today. Our modern, well-equipped factory is the only one of its kind to be built in Europe since the early 1900’s. Our expert staff monitor quality control throughout the manufacturing process and we are continually updating our facilities to incorporate the best of modern techniques. We offer a full design service for special requirements."

On a side note I do worry about causing any offence to the chaps doing the repairs by requesting a different make of string to what they use, as I hold them in very high regard.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: String maker advice

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have used Parks not had any problems main reason I use them is the turnaround time for singles I've also use them for sets.

A lot of my colleagues who do more stringing than me prefer Barney.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

I've not had one 'duff' string from Parkes as yet. I gave up using another string maker as there started to be too many 'mistakes'. Obviously I'm not going to put who on here, suffice as to say it wasn't Barney.
David Hamilton Smith
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

I presume they're going to put on a new bridge capping rather than trying to glue up the split in the old one btw? :(
David Hamilton Smith