Kawaii GX3 - tone quality problem

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

JPM

Kawaii GX3 - tone quality problem

Post by JPM »

Hell all,

I would appreciate advice please regarding how to resolve a new issue with the sound quality / tone of my 2 year old Kawaii GX3 which I bought new. When I tried it in the shop I felt it sounded a bit 'dull' so initially rejected it. The owner however agreed and said he would get a Kawaii technician to fix it. I have no idea what work was done, but after first few tunings at my home it sounded excellent to my ears (Intermediate pianist).

I have had it tuned every 12-14 weeks by a tuner who I believe is fairly 'senior' in the tuning industry (he does a lot of work for professionals pianists and concert halls). After every tuning it sounds wonderful (to my ears at least ). There is a warmth and evenness of tone, although there are a couple of notes in the tenor range which I think ring out slightly louder than the rest. Anyway after tuning it sounds so nice that I want to play all day.

After the most recent tuning a few weeks ago it did not sound good. It was almost as if it was starting to go noticeably out of tune and the tone was dull and a slighly harsh.

Is it possible my tuner had a bad day? To be fair as soon as he sat down he commented it was sounding a bit 'metallic' but didn't offer an explanation. After every tuning he always invites me to sit down and test it, however this time he did not.

The piano is located in an open plan area which is connected to the kitchen. The tuner has warned me that it is not optimal because of the humidity, however I have a a humidity meter and it is fairly constant around 50ish. He also commented that the tuning pins were very cold.

We don't have the central heating up high in winter, usually no more than around 18 degrees max.

Could this be environment related, or has something else changed in the piano? Should I have some kind of heater under the piano or cover it in a heavy blanket? Or should I ask the tuner to come back and take a look at it?

Many thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kawaii GX3 - tone quality problem

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The piano is two years old, and you've had it tuned quite a few times it's not uncommon for Pianos to start showing the signs of "metallic sound", "tinny", "harsh" whatever " The opposite of what. it sounded in the shop; basically, it's the hammers getting hard at the nose it's a small voicing issue ask your tuner to even out the tone. Also, General humidities have fallen over the last months, making the hammers harder.

You have got an exceptionally good hearing, or your piano is in a shitty place, piano wise. I would consider a lifesaver they do make a big difference with stability issues.

I do have clients who have their piano is tuned as often as you do but generally speaking, they have them in converters or south facing rooms and they use them a lot.

And yes we all have off days piano tuners are nearly human :-)

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

If your tuner commented on the brightness of the piano I wonder if he/she spent some time voicing the hammers and made it too dull/mellow for your taste. If this is the case the brightness will return as you play it.

If no voicing was done then the issue is likely to be with the tuning. It has been my experience that when my piano was not set up strictly according to the rules of equal temperament it was dull. When the tuner changed and it was put into equal temperament it sounded much more lively.

The only other thing which comes to mind is that because of the time of year the tuning of your piano had changed slightly but because the tuner knew that it would recover after the winter he/she didn't want to move the tuning pins too much to restore it in order to achieve absolute equal temperament.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Thank you @chrisw and @Barrie Heaton for taking the time to comment. That's a lot to think about!

I should be giving my tuner a call to get his view on what needs done.

I have always been present so am sure that the hammers have never been touched by my tuner (but I suppose could have been done in the shop).

The room is South facing although slightly sheltered from sunlight.

Ton my ears the piano definitely needs tuning at this frequency as it is a different machine after tuning.

Will definitely look into a Lifesaver.

Thank you