Advice please. Kawai BL-12 vs Yamaha U1

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Musica Notturna

Advice please. Kawai BL-12 vs Yamaha U1

Post by Musica Notturna »

Hi all,
I'm about to buy my first acoustic piano. Couldn't get the local technician to come along with me to assess the instruments, so I´m left to my own poor understanding of the condition of the instruments.
First is a Yamaha U1 (1983), It appears to be in great condition, hammers have a good shape and everything is functioning. Strings and soundboard ok. Some minor scratches on the lid. but that's ok with me. The worse part is that it hasn't been tuned for 20 years and it is a whole semitone down. A3=415hz. Also on some notes, the strings don't seem to be singing the same note. Sustain is good, pedals all work. No bridge cracks, no pests, tuning pins all ok, strings all original. I have been as thorough as I could be after watching and reading countless videos and articles. This goes for 1500 euros.
The second option is a little cheaper (1000), but honestly, money isn't a limiting factor. It's a Kawai BL-12 which seems to be an imported Japanese piano from 1980. Little info is available online for this piano, so it is harder to know if it is in the same league as the U1. This piano is immaculate outside, is not so out of tune as the U1, but the hammers and dampers seem to me in worse condition, more deeply grooved and defined but also fluffy. Also, the Celeste doesn't go down all the way, so it only softens the sound of the base. The pedals have lost some of the brass, maybe due to humidity as the piano is in a house 200-200 meters from the sea. The rest of the piano seems to be in excellent condition. None of them appear to have been played much.
I'm adding pictures in case you can help me.
Thanks
Modify message
Attachments
u1 hammers.jpg
kawai hammers felt.jpg
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Advice please. Kawai BL-12 vs Yamaha U1

Post by chrisw »

Judging from articles on the internet, the Kawai BL-12 seems to be a respected piano and I would imagine an equal to the U1. I cannot comment on the condition of the hammers. If I was to purchase a second hand piano from a home near to the sea at least I would be reassured that it hadn't been kept in a dry environment and I would not expect the timber soundboard to have shrunken.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice please. Kawai BL-12 vs Yamaha U1

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Both are good makes and models of the time. However, I would be concerned about the U1 being down a semitone and you said that some notes were not sounding the same note that may mean that some of the tuning pins are lose if they are not lose it will take a few tunings to stabilise the piano.

As to cuts in the hammers that is common in a piano that age.

The prices seem very reasonable.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page