Chappell vs. Godfrey - a beginners piano advice please

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

cleal80

Chappell vs. Godfrey - a beginners piano advice please

Post by cleal80 »

Hi,

My son has just started lessons so I have been looking at free/cheap listing on various sites for an upright for him to practice on.

This weekend I saw a Chappell and Co which hasn't been played for a number of years. It has a nice tone and was surprisingly in tune (with itself) except for a duff C an octive above middle C. Today I saw Godfrey & Co which is straight strung, the keys were chipped and tone a bit harsh. This has been tuned and played regularly though, although it is now out of tune and has a duff F# below middle C. The Godfrey is free the Chappell is not. The Godfrey is prettier (well a lighter wood which I prefer).

Could anyone help me make up my mind. Make wise is there such a gulf that it is worth an aesthetic compromise for a superior piano and, is it very risky if it hasn't been tuned or played for a number of years? I had a look inside and the hammer felt was clean and quite bright in the Chappell. I would put them both at Edwardian-ish age looking at design but as you can tell from this post I am a novice with these things. Any advice to help make up my mind gratefully received!

I do have some images if that would help.

Thanks!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chappell vs. Godfrey - a beginners piano advice please

Post by Barrie Heaton »

While on paper the chapel would be a better buy. However, like anything secondhand it's how it's been treated and looked after.

I would ask the sellers who tune the piano last and try to contact the piano tuner to find out something about the piano. Because the removal costs could be quite steep and you don't want to spend on a piano to find out it's got major problems.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
cleal80

Post by cleal80 »

Thanks Barrie, the Chappell is from a house clearance so they only know it wasn't played for years. The Godfrey was tuned last year and had a sticking key repaired. I will go back and ask who the tuner was. Thanks again! Like you say deliver costs mean this is making the decision quite hard!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Depending on where you live
Removals can run from £85 to £200 for a straightforward local move with no problems.

Tuning at the pitch its at can run from £65 to £125 with no repairs again depending where you live.

I would find out what your local tuner charges for an inspection

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page