Piano advice for self-taught

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Aliastar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Piano advice for self-taught

Post by Aliastar »

Hi everyone guys!
New to this forum, I hope I'll like it here.
I'm a self-taught musician if it's possible to call me a musician. About half a year ago I've started making beats with FL Studio 20. I discovered that I really like composing music and bought MIDI-keyboard, but I understand that I don't have enough piano skills to do my best with MIDI, so I decided to buy a piano. Please, advise me on choosing the right piano, thanks.
p.s. I play guitar quite a long time, but never tried piano. Is it possible to learn to play it myself? If you have any resources(youtube channels with music theory or any literature), please feel free to share it here.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Piano advice for self-taught

Post by chrisw »

Visit has many piano shops as you can to try out many different pianos that fit your budget and the size of room you have available. Choose the one you like the sound of and the touch to your fingers. Get a guarantee from a shop. If you end up buying a second hand piano privately ask a piano tuner to inspect it for you before parting with money. Remember pianos wear out with age and the amount of playing they get. Any more advice and you would need to specify what you are looking for and where you are located (roughly).
Aliastar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Aliastar »

I've run into weighted keys. They said to be very similar to pianos if I understand right, so I decided to take a closer look at keys to save some space in a room. Also, I consider buying keys online, is it a good idea, or it's better to make the purchase in the real-world?
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

If you are now considering a keyboard with weighted keys then go on line if you want. I would go to a real shop but that is my choice in wanting to see something before I buy.
Aliastar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Aliastar »

It has a sense. Anyway, before buying something I always read all the available info about the product. When I go to the shop, I already know what I want to buy :lol: I would really appreciate it if you recommend me what model/brand to take a closer look at because it's impossible to find something worthwhile on the internet now. I don't believe all these reviews like this one, it smells commercial from a mile away, so I'll be glad to hear your personal recommendation. Thanks in advance!
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I am sorry that I am too unfamiliar with keyboards to make any recommendation of a particular brand or model. However I guess I would be looking for one with 88 weighted keys perhaps produced by Yamaha, Kawai or Nord.
Aliastar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Aliastar »

Ok, thanks for the advice and for the conversation :wink:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

if its proper weighted keys in a digital piano you want, then go for Yamaha Avant Grand N2.

However, if it was me I would go for the Kawai K400 Upright if space is a problem similar footprint to digital

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Sophie7Leblanc

Post by Sophie7Leblanc »

I just wanted to drop a line a recommend a platform that I used to learn how to play piano online. https://latouchemusicale.com/en/ is one of the popular educational tools for keyboard beginners and advanced users. The program teaches you keyboard techniques such as striking notes, pedaling, and finger placements. The program has several lesson modules that help you develop piano playing skills fast. The program can be downloaded for free. This application and lessons, simple and easy to understand, will teach you how to play the piano online.
From my experience, it’s not hard to start to learn to play the piano yourself. The hardest part is to try to find a good source of knowledge with the possibility to practice a lot and track your results with the option to correct mistakes. In this case, and here a virtual keyboard can help a lot. The great advantage that it’s free and you can start anytime.
Another advantage of practicing with a such keyboard is that it makes it easier to move from one song to another. When you are using a keyboard, you can play anywhere you want. You can even play a song that you downloaded on your keyboard!
With online keyboard courses for piano, you can practice the piano every day. Practice makes perfect, right? Well, when you are learning to play the piano, learning should always be perfect. Remember that you do not have to spend any money on learning piano online. This keyboard is free and so easy to use, you can practice as many times as you want.
ton312
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by ton312 »

Aliastar wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 10:06 Hi everyone guys!
New to this forum, I hope I'll like it here.
I'm a self-taught musician if it's possible to call me a musician. About half a year ago I've started making beats with FL Studio 20. I discovered that I really like composing music and bought MIDI-keyboard, but I understand that I don't have enough piano skills to do my best with MIDI, so I decided to buy a piano. Please, advise me on choosing the right piano, thanks.
p.s. I play guitar quite a long time, but never tried piano. Is it possible to learn to play it myself? If you have any resources(youtube channels with music theory or any literature), please feel free to share it here.
Hello! 2 years ago you posted this message and I want to know about your results as a self-taught player. What is your success? Thank you!