S Brooks & Sons Ltd

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Treguard

S Brooks & Sons Ltd

Post by Treguard »

I've been going stir crazy with working from home and not having access to the pianos at work, therefore we've decided to try and source one off gumtree. I don't expect it to be as beautiful sounding as the Yamahas at university, so it's just something to tide me over/do when I do work from home.

I'm going to look at one tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone was familiar with this particular make? One thing that does concern me is the string/rope tied around the left leg at the bottom. I appreciate it's difficult to diagnose without going to see it, but I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Edit:- Another has appeared closed to home, but it looks like more work may be needed-

I'll be going to look at that one on Friday.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: S Brooks & Sons Ltd

Post by chrisw »

Hello Treguard,
I can't get your photographs to enlarge so not able to see much of the string on the leg of the first piano. The first piano looks to have an attractive case but this doesn't say anything about its ability to tune, stay in tune, the condition of the hammer felts, all the other felts or the soundboard. It has also been kept next to a radiator.
The second piano is straight strung and in my opinion is too old and I personally would not consider it.
Please bear in mind how much money you are likely to spend on transportation,repairs, tuning and even disposal and ask yourself a if digital piano is a better option.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: S Brooks & Sons Ltd

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Both look like money pits Get your local tuner to look at them. or find out who tuned them last and ask the tuner if they are worth it

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page