Decontamination of piano keys

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Decontamination of piano keys

Post by chrisw »

As one might expect at this time decontamination refers to cleaning of keys so that the risk of transmitting the Covid virus by touch between a group of people playing the same piano is reduced as much as possible. I ask the question because when lockdown restrictions are partially lifted it might be possible for a group of pianists to gather in a venue large enough to maintain social distancing but playing is prevented because everyone is touching the piano.

Is it possible to recommend a method of cleaning keys which could be employed in between each player's performance in manner that would not damage the keys' surface ? I need to consider both ivory and composite key surfaces.

Perhaps the better course of action is to ensure everyone decontaminates their hands.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Decontamination of piano keys

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You have to be careful with some of the commercial antiseptic wipes as they have alcohol and hydrogen peroxide which can damage the keys if used incorrectly Plastic can go soft ivory keys are porous and the alcohol can affect the glue underneath.

CH Pianos has developed a wipe for safe use on piano keys
https://www.coachhousepianos.co.uk/prod ... key-wipes/

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Thank you Barrie. The CH wipes look like a good option for modern pianos, perhaps not for pianos with ivory keys. If we are able to resume piano groups before the release of a vaccine I might buy a large container of hand gel as well. In the meantime we are meeting using Zoom.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I would wipe the keys down at the start of the program then get the performers to sanitise their hands before playing.

Make sure that the performer has let their hands dry before they perform, dripping alcohol wash on carpets and casework, may cause you some problems with bleaching and damage to floorcoverings and casework.

Hopping to go back to work in two weeks

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page