Dawsons Music in Administration

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dawsons Music in Administration

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Dawsons Music in Administration Established in 1898, Warrington-Dawsons Music employs a workforce of about 75 people and has stores in Manchester, Liverpool, Chester, Leeds, Reading and Belfast. there is a possibility of a rescue package
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Dawsons Music in Administration

Post by chrisw »

That is a pity especially for the staff. The Manchester store is quite large but in recent years seems to have stocked mostly electronic instruments. It is many years since I ventured in and was put off by notices on the pianos saying please do not touch. Dawson's Manchester didn't stock much in the way of classical music.The Leeds branch was quite small and didn't appeal to me.
Here's hoping that the same doesn't occur with Forsyth's in Manchester. They do let you wonder around their large acoustic piano showroom and play more or less what you fancy. Hope Rimmers are holding together, and of course Reidys.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Rimmers may buy Dawsons, But a lot of retailers are cutting on line prices to get sales. I can see a few more going and if we have a second wave that will hit the chains who don't own the shop.

There are a few tuners who are looking at calling it a day manly ones in there 70s now that will be a problem in some areas.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

If Dawson's in Leeds does disappear there will be nowhere in the city centre that you can buy music apart from Hobgoblin which I guess won't have piano music. There remains a couple of places that you can buy a piano, one being Besbrode's but they are not in the shopping centre.
When I was a teenager Banks of York had a shop in the County Arcade and the windows were adorned which sheet music of all the pop songs of the day.
Last edited by chrisw on 08 May 2020, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

don't most folk buy music online now like sheetmusicdirect

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I buy my music at Promenade Music in Morecambe to give them the custom rather than anyone on line. There is a good music shop on line called Presto Classical located in Leamington Spa. I try to avoid Amazon.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Always better to keep the local shops in business whenever you can. I wish my wife would avoid Amazon.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page