Schneider 24 action

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

vynx

Schneider 24 action

Post by vynx »

Hi, I am starting restoring this square piano and I found some parts have been changed at some point, like some sticker key action I suppose because breakage, but I am doubting about one detail in the action that I am almost sure was not in the original, because I found a couple fell off and they had graphite in the area of the glue :? , also when you push the key all the way the hammer is pushed up twice because of this "step"....other question is what kind of material is made the "hinge" of the action that is inserted in the wood, paper or leather? some photos
Thanks
Attachments
20200325_222020.jpg
Feg

Re: Schneider 24 action

Post by Feg »

The material is vellum - vellum is prepared animal skin or "membrane", typically used as a material for writing on.
vynx

Post by vynx »

Thank you a lot, I will try to find the vellum for the ones are worn out. The hammer section I am almost sure someone (bubba) mixed all of them because the numbers written by pencil are in wrong position, some on the treble section are cut in angle on the head I suppose for being in different position :cry: one question: the hammers base are hold with a piece of leather in between 2 pieces of wood, the top one with screws and a thin strip of leather on the tip, also glue is used, maybe the glue is also a bubba's work?
Best regards.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It's best to glue the Valium with animal glue and soften it first at the joint. https://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk use to sell it pre-cut to the correct width and thickness.

When you come to glue it's better to glue one section 1st leave overnight, then waggle the vellum so the joint is supple. then glue it in the other part.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page