Conservatory advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gilld

Conservatory advice

Post by Gilld »

Hello, I have an upright piano which is in reasonable condition. We are moving house and the only space available is in the conservatory- so likely to get hot and cold. I’ve been told that will completely ruin my piano. I don’t play much – just occasional stress relief with no audience (I won’t even play for family) but I love having a piano to play when I feel like it. Should I get rid of my piano and maybe get a digital piano (maybe a Clavinova) or do I just accept that my piano will slowly get worse and lose its life being put in the conservatory? Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conservatory advice

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A lot depends on the piano and if the conservatory is south facing. I do tune pianos that are in the conservatory. Some have lifesavers fitted, and some don't. None are south facing, over time it will kill the piano if you don't provide a lifesaver. However, if the cost of the lifesaver is more than the piano is worth, then you may as well get the most of your piano before moving over to a digital.

Please remember that digital pianos can be affected by high swings in temp and humidity.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gilld

Post by Gilld »

Thanks Barrie. The conservatory is north facing. Is it the temperature or humidity fluctuations that damage the piano? Or both? And does the life- saver only fix the humidity issue? Thanks for the advice!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The piano tends to get very cold in winter, so the humidity drops and the piano goes sharp. But its the humidity. In summer, that can make the action seize up. Lifesaver can help in winter keeping the temp and humidity up, But in summer it all depends if it is like a greenhouse in there. You local tuner will be the best person to monitor the piano have it turned four weeks after the move, then three months later.
See how it is coping

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page