1928 Aeolian Pianola Piano Pinning

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pianola_1234

1928 Aeolian Pianola Piano Pinning

Post by pianola_1234 »

Hi all,

just a bit of background. I'm new to the forum, a few years ago I picked up a 1928 Aeolian Pianola. I've had a few of these (a kaster, weber, along with some dealer branded types with higel player actions) but I bought this one for keeps and repair it to a good standard. I've done smaller repairs on piano actions before, I'm not a novice but equally not a master at restoring and repairing either.

This piano requires repining, I've given it a rough tune to bring the pitch up but I discovered quite a lot of the pins to be fairly loose, not to the point that it loses tune instantly but over a few hours odd strings are dropping pitch. Some pins are still tight and some are quite loose, it really is a mixed bunch but the majority can't hold good pitch for an extended amount of time.

From first impressions the pin block does look to be in good order with no tell tale signs of cracking so I am going to go ahead and repin the whole lot as there were only a few that are very tight.

I just want some advice on what you folks think is best practice for an older piano as there is a lot of contradictions on the 'best' way to repin. Due to the age of the wood, and the fact that I am replacing the whole set, would it be best to drill out the holes a few mm smaller first to avoid any unnecessary strain on the wood or is it best just to choose one size up and fit them in the current state?

I also see a lot of discussion about fitting the new pins, some advise to knock them in and others state that winding them in is best practice. Again, with the wood being so old I would imagine it is best to wind them into position.

The way I plan to do it is to drill out the holes a few mm smaller than the new pins, and wind in the new pins as I don't want to risk cracking the block due to its age. I'd like to hear any thoughts on whether this is the best approach or not before I go ahead.

Hopefully I can share the work and post the results once I've finished. There is still more work to do on the piano and player action, along with refinishing the cabinet but I hope to make it a good example as these old players are often much neglected as this one has been!

Cheers
Bren
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1928 Aeolian Pianola Piano Pinning

Post by Barrie Heaton »

While reaming the hols out will give you pin movement consistency. Unless it has 00 or 01 pins, you will make more problems for yourself or the tuner, pins too close. Rule of thumb is to come up two sizes. Are you keeping the strings or adding new strings

Have you considered using Cyanoacrylates glue CA works well if done correctly other option is to take out the faulty pin and pack them?

if just repining you need a good reversible drill to back out the pins once you have removed the becket out of the hole save time and your wrists.

Myself I prefer to add the coil to the pin then hammer the pin home some tuners like to put the pin in then add the coil it what works best for you. However, if you are keeping the bass strings you may want to twist them when putting them back on that is a lot simpler if you add the coil to the pin then turn it before hammering it home. At the end of the day its the end job quality not how you got there.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page