Piano for a School

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

briesmith

Piano for a School

Post by briesmith »

A friend is a music teacher in a Lincolnshire school which has no money. She really needs an acoustic piano to give her students, particularly those going on to grade 5 and above, a chance to get used to the feel of an acoustic such as they will encounter when doing their exams.

I want to donate a piano but have a limited budget; say £400 or thereabouts. Is there a make/model you would recommend as suitable for this purpose? It must be good quality, likely to survive in a school environment, have accurate intonation and feel, and so on.

I can't contribute here because my own experience is on digital pianos (because of room size limitations).

Anything you can help with will be much appreciated.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Piano for a School

Post by chrisw »

Explain your situation to local piano dealers, hopefully they will be able to advise you based on the stock of pianos they keep. There is a well established dealership in Sleaford called White and Sentance and also one in Lincoln.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

you can try the local primary schools many of them are getting rid of perfacly good pianos as they dont use them in asembly now

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

And best not forget the outrigged wheels if it's going into a school eh?
David Hamilton Smith