Fazer acoustic

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Beardywierdy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Fazer acoustic

Post by Beardywierdy »

Hi
I am a new member; thanks for having me.
I have just acquired a fazer refurbished piano having been playing and learning on a fairly good digital piano.
However it doesn’t sound great to me. Some of the notes, particularly the bass notes sound metallic and it’s difficult to play quietly. It sounds quite harsh, not mellow and pleasant to play.
I spoke to the shop (very reputable shop in Manchester)and they said it is a good 2nd hand piano and to give it time.
Is it me, do I need to get used to it or could it be a lemon
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Fazer acoustic

Post by chrisw »

Information available on the web leads me to believe that Fazers are well designed pianos. I also made a transition from a very early electronic piano to acoustic many years ago and it did take quite awhile before I became used to the heavier action and the different sound. It is possible that toning of the hammers or regulation of the action may make the sound more inline with your expectations and you need to discuss these points with your tuner/technician or the tuner who comes out from the shop.
Presumably you bought the piano from the shop on Deansgate and I am sure they will want you to enjoy it.
P.S. Do you regularly play other acoustic pianos, for example a teacher's piano and if so how do you find them ?
Beardywierdy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Beardywierdy »

Thanks for the reply.
I have played pianos in the shop whose action feels much smoother and tone much more even; easier to play would be the way to describe it. But these were much more expensive, higher end models, so perhaps it is an expectation issue.
Maybe I just prefer the digital sound and feel;
I didn’t have the chance to play mine prior, as it was a gift
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

That a sound like a voicing issue to me. Allowing it to bead in your home will not change it. Fazer pianos are middle range make and if a 70 -80 model the hammers will have compacted
Fazer pianos where quite bright from new. They tend to go brighter over time.

Are they giving you a free tuning if so asks the tuner to voice it down? However, in an ideal world, the main player needs to be there when voicing down aa Piano. If they are not giving you a free tuning, you will need it tuning after four weeks and tell the tuner you would like it voicing down

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Barrie's article here
https://www.a440.co.uk/piano-voicing.html
may be of interest.
Please do not be discouraged from persevering with your acoustic. In time you can draw out some very expressive sounds.
I do agree that digitals do have some advantages over acoustics and having one of each would be great.
Beardywierdy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Beardywierdy »

Thanks for all your replies. Perhaps I am just a philistine and prefer the digitals.
The shop advised to tune it after 2 months but I don’t think that’s a free service and they told me voicing would be at my cost.
I might see if they would swap it for something that’s suits me (and the neighbours)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you have only used Digital pianos no matter how much tweaking we do to your Fazer ( I am assuming its a 110cm or 116cm model) you will not be happy with it, it will outshine in the top end but the mid and base end no. You need a piano that's 122cm or above then you will get it. So if they will exchange... ! then yes, go for a taller piano, but you do pay for what you get in the piano world.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Beardywierdy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Beardywierdy »

Hi
It’s the 109 with 85 keys
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Barrie, I have a slightly different view when comparing digitals to acoustics, although I take your point that a digital is likely to be stronger in the bass than a shortish acoustic. I am mostly interested in the nuances of sound you can draw from an acoustic using hand and finger technique that I have never experienced from a digital. In some respects I look upon the volume control of a digital as a disadvantage because it may be a hindrance from developing a soft playing technique. I know pianists who have digitals at home and can play acoustic pianos very nicely indeed. I also know some who only seem to draw strident sounds from an acoustic and I end up wondering if it is caused by only playing digitals.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Beardywierdy, have you seen this video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0tUHduh94&t=218s
Beardywierdy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Beardywierdy »

Hi
Yes, I saw that when I first got it, as I wanted to do a bit of research on them.
It’s a bit awkward really as it’s a birthday present from the wife and I never played it first. Can’t really ask her to send it back.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Given the circumstance, my advice would be to get it tuned, voiced and toned and then try to get used to playing it. When I changed my tuner about six or seven years ago she toned all the hammers and it really didn't cost that much. It probably needs doing again !

If the Fazer produces too much sound use the celeste rail or if it doesn't have one get one fitted.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

chrisw wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 16:17 I am mostly interested in the nuances of sound you can draw from an acoustic using hand and finger technique that I have never experienced from a digital. In some respects I look upon the volume control of a digital as a disadvantage because it may be a hindrance from developing a soft playing technique. I know pianists who have digitals at home and can play acoustic pianos very nicely indeed. I also know some who only seem to draw strident sounds from an acoustic and I end up wondering if it is caused by only playing digitals.
In the last 15 years, I have found that those players who have only been used to digitals including the exam centre ones have gone into shops played a decent piano and said "I get it!" but can't afford a suitable size piano they buy a smaller pianos like 109 and 116 and they just don't cut it for touch and sound compared to the 133 after a while they tend to get disappointed. On the other hand, a pianist who has played older piano and gone to a digital and then back is not as disappointed. The ones who get a grand in the main tend to be ok

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Beardywierdy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Beardywierdy »

Thank you for all the replies.
I had no idea that a piano would need to be re voiced etc. I was under the impression that it got delivered and away you go. It’s a bit sensitive really, as it was a gift, so I don’t want to disappoint the wife, but I wouldn’t have chosen it.
She went in to get me a better digital keyboard and came out with a piano

I will email the shop and see what their policy is regarding swapping
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Beardywierdy wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 21:33
She went in to get me a better digital keyboard and came out with a piano
A Good salesperson then. Normally its the other way round

Bsrrie
Barrie Heaton