Danemann or Kemble

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Elk1010

Danemann or Kemble

Post by Elk1010 »

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between a 1930s Danemann upright or a 1957 Kemble. Both have been restored by the same reputable restorer but both are very different. Also the Kemble is priced at $1550 NZD and the Danemann at $3000 NZD. Don't be alarmed at the prices, everything is expensive here.
The Danemann is being played in this video https://youtu.be/dTOv5yYHbis

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Elaine
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Danemann or Kemble

Post by chrisw »

Both are good makes but it is only their condition that matters and not the name. I would be asking for details of the work done during restoration and enquiring if there is a guarantee period. I would be considering whether or not I needed an independent tuner to inspect both pianos and advise me accordingly.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The Danemann sounds nice for the size and I do like the Art deco style. As chrisw has pointed out, what has been done

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
NZpianolover

Post by NZpianolover »

I agree with Barrie's comments about the Danemann piano. The sound is rich and full and the Art Deco case is especially original and captivating. The young man playing the piano is Adrian Mann who built the leviathan piano on the left in the video which is claimed to be the longest piano in world. The Kemble is also a very reputable British brand of piano although we don't hear it played or know what restoration work was carried out.
Good luck!
Kind regards,
Robert.