Buying a second-hand Schimmel or Sandner

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

YuH

Buying a second-hand Schimmel or Sandner

Post by YuH »

Hello,
I'm living in Germany and looking for a piano for my 7 yrs daughter who started learning piano last year after we moved here from England. As I don't write German, I'd like to ask our English community about buying a second-hand piano from private market.

We found an old Schimmel (made 1948-1950) "Fortissimo," a small Chippendale model, which the seller had bought from a regular piano player then his daughter used for a couple of years. The other is a piano by Franz Sandner SP200 model, which the seller obtained new 5 years ago and his daughter played for her lesson. The price of both is under 2K.
I read someone mentioning on this forum that Sandner pianos are not recommended considering maintenance etc., while the Schimmel one we found is fairly old, so my question 1. is, "Is the Schimmel still a better choice?"

We have not played these pianos yet so difficult to say about the sounds but both seem the condition is OK and according to the sellers, they are tuned regularly.

The question 2., it's a bit too general but... Should we put more budget and/or get a new piano? We can't afford more than 4k, so our choice is still limited, that's why we started to look second-hand/private market.

We hope playing piano would be a life long pleasure for our daughter, with nothing special ambition. I would be very grateful if we could hear an opinion/ experience from one of you.

Thanks, YuH
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying a second-hand Schimmel or Sandner

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Pre 1980 Schimmels, are not that great. They only improved when Yamaha got involved. As to the Sandner, some pianos from China have developed, but not sure if the Sandner is one of them. I would get a local Tuner to look at the Sandner find out who tuned it and give them a ring.

With the crapy exchange rate pound to Euro, it may work out cheaper buying new in the UK and shipping to Germany.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
YuH

Post by YuH »

Hi Barrie,
Thanks for a quick input. Indeed, asking to the tuner is a good idea!

> Pre 1980 Schimmels, are not that great. They only improved when Yamaha got involved.
Does that mean Yamahas are so great? I saw a few ads of second hand Yamaha B1 and U3 €2500-3300 but have not contacted yet, as some people said Yamaha is a secured choice (expensive) but not interesting sounds...
I know it's all depending on your taste though it's hard to say for my daughter, who has not developed yet strongly.
Should I consider at least visiting & playing the instrument?

Oh, buying one from the UK is fascinating but we don't have plan to go there next couple of month.

Best, YuH
*I posted the comment last evening but it's not appeared so am writing again.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The first 3 posts from any new poster have to be approved to cut down on spam.

if you are buying from a shop, I would imagine Germany is no different from the UK the closer you get to Xmass the less chance of a discount on the shop price or extras like free tuning and stool.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
YuH

Post by YuH »

If getting from the shop, not closer to the Christmas: useful information.
Thanks again, YuH