Boyd Upright Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Harriette

Boyd Upright Piano

Post by Harriette »

Good Afternoon,
We have a piano in our house that was acquired a number of years ago by an old tenant. The piano in question is a Boyd Ltd London upright piano. I have found some numbers on the inside top of the frame 1128558211 and 20376 2G. Neither myself of my housemates know anything about pianos - other than that this one is out of tune, so we have been thinking about passing this on to someone who will hopefully get more enjoyment out of it than we do. We would love to know a bit more information about the piano, such as its age etc. We would also appreciate if anyone able to guide us in how much we should be selling the piano for, or whether we should just give it away for free to someone who wants it. Or is it worth getting a tuner in to check the condition of the soundboard etc, if it is potentially worth something? Any advice would me much appreciated!
Many thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2936.jpg
IMG_2932.jpg
IMG_2931.jpg
IMG_2938.jpg
IMG_2929.jpg
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Boyd Upright Piano

Post by chrisw »

Alas, I am not a piano technician, but hopefully you will receive a reply from somebody better qualified than I in the near future. Your piano looks to be very old, although the casework appears in good condition and it may appeal to someone looking for an older instrument. If you want it valuing you need to commission a tuner to determine if it will hold its tune. I personally would not recommend that anybody wishing to learn the piano would acquire a piano of this age, even if given away.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Boyd Upright Piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

its a straight strung over damper piano c1900 to 20, very little resale value. Trade will ask you for money to take it away.
If the piano is up on concert pitch that will add value. You then may get £0 to £175 on eBay November to Jan is the best time to sell a piano in the UK.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page