Monington & Weston

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Peterc

Monington & Weston

Post by Peterc »

Hello, I have decided to buy a baby grand piano(under £2000) to learn to play properly and get professional lessons.I have seen a rather nice Monington and Westen but one or two people suggesting their piano actions are troublesome(its a roller action) The wife likes the bodywork hence this brand of piano,also the piano would reside in a conservatory what would I need to do to protect the piano from changes in temperature.
Just need some guidance as its at the top end of my budget,any advice will be gratefully received thank you
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Monington & Weston

Post by chrisw »

I am afraid I cannot comment on the action of these pianos but hopefully a tuner technician will reply to give you the advice that you need.

I have an acquaintance who has attended a piano teacher that placed her new Steinway in a conservatory, albeit the conservatory had been designed to house a piano. You need to acquire a good hygrometer and thermometer to monitor the humidity and temperature swings in the room. Constant low humidity due to lack of water vapour or high temperature could cause wood to shrink. I would aim for humidity levels between 40-60%. A humidifier is likely to help or perhaps a few plants. I would try to prevent direct sunlight from falling on the piano by using blinds at the windows or a cover over the case of the piano.

Good luck with the lessons.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Roller action is the best type of action if not worn or poorly regulated. Are you sure they did not say it was a none roller action?

As to the piano in a conservatory, not a good idea you will need a piano lifesaver if it is north facing - if the conservatory is a south facing one you will kill the piano

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Peterc

Post by Peterc »

Thanks for advice will go for the piano and get blinds covers and humidifer and hope for the best dream come true to own such an instrument
Peterc

Post by Peterc »

Thank you for advice regarding conservatory,my wife has allowed the piano in the dining room nice even temperature all year round.The piano has a Herrburger Books action which looks in really good condition so before I take the plunge is this action ok assuming its in good working order from the start?and can parts still be found,just need reassuring I puppose,thank you
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

yes, parts for Herrburger Books action are available. However, I would consider getting a tuner to have a look at it first. Not just the action but the tuning pins as well

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page