Advice on second hand piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Rachael85

Advice on second hand piano

Post by Rachael85 »

Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide between an Essenfelder upright, looks like it's post 1970s or a Kemble Classic (B. Squire). Does anyone have any info or opinions? It's for my young son to start learning. Thanks
Attachments
IMG-20190503-WA0004.jpg
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Advice on second hand piano

Post by chrisw »

I have never heard of Essenfelder and to my mind the piano in the photograph is rather older than post 1970. One of the other correspondents to this forum may be able to give you a more accurate date.

I have owned a Kemble Classic for 25 years and can assure you they are suitable for a learner from being a beginner to becoming an advanced player. It all depends on its condition and whether it has been properly maintained. If you are buying from a shop which offers a guarantee it is probably OK. If it is a private sale it is recommended that you take a piano tuner with you when you go to look at it.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice on second hand piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If the Kemble is 1970's, it may now have issues.
As to the Essenfelder (probably made in, Chiner, not Germany) if in good condition it may be better than the Kemble. Taller piano better Bass also 88 note over 85 compared with the classic.

As chrisw said "get a tuner to look at it for you "

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page