Steinway wippen question

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

RichardYoungPianos

Steinway wippen question

Post by RichardYoungPianos »

I am restoring a Steinway model O (1910)
I notice the wippens do not have a fly adjustment screw,the jack rests on a felt block inside the wippen window.So I am imagining that there is no adjustment to refine the let off.Has anyone experienced this type of wippen and now I am wondering whether to live with it or replace the wippens with ones with fly regulators as fine regulation would be difficult to acheive with no adjustment.The wippens are in perfect condition and feel I do not need to replace them if I can help it.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Steinway wippen question

Post by Barrie Heaton »

That is how we use to do the butterfly springs and still do, try and adjust then try and adapt. The micro adjusters have only been around for about 20 years Renner.

As to the let-off (set off ) that is done at the front with the set- off screw, The drop is by the small screw on the flange.

The felt pad behind the jack sets the datum line. (Now done with a felt pad and screw) You have to add new strip if felt, then remove bits to get the jack on the datum line very time consuming and tedious.

if you are putting on new shanks and rollers you will have to alter the jacks I would buy a new set of bottom sections.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page