Kemble/Hickie & Hickie Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

nickods

Kemble/Hickie & Hickie Piano

Post by nickods »

Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying a piano I've seen. It says it's a Kemble, and does sort of look like a Kemble Classic (similar shape, 73 keys) but it also has 'Hickie & Hickie Ltd, Reading' embossed on it. I've tried to find out what this dual naming is all about, but all I've been able to find out and H & H is that they apparently make pretty budget pianos. I've not got a serial number - my in laws saw it and sent some photos over thinking I might be interested. Anyone have any idea what it's about?!

Thanks
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-02-09 at 12.35.48.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-02-09 at 12.32.51.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-02-09 at 12.32.51 (1).jpeg
Gill the Piano

Re: Kemble/Hickie & Hickie Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Hickie and Hickie is a music shop in Reading: it just means that the piano was originally bought from them.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
nickods

Post by nickods »

Ah I see. I did wonder if it was that, but had no idea that practice existed. Thanks Gill!
nickods

Post by nickods »

So, weird update with this. Someone has snapped a key off since last viewing a few days ago! It's still mine if I want it as a price was agreed. I was wondering how easy it is to get a replacement key, and whether it's worth it? It seems a pretty good price (£140, plus it will probably come down with this damage) so it's just weighing up how much extra time, cost and effort the repair would be.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-02-11 at 14.19.26.jpeg
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You can go to 'Piano Parts' in the index to the left of this column and have a look, or if you put 'black piano key' into eBay you can get 36 for about ten quid or one for £2.08. Or you mention it to your tuner and ask them to bring one when they come to tune your bargain. Lots of possibilities!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
nickods

Post by nickods »

Thanks again, Gill! I did have a brief look on Ebay but will give it another go.