First Second Hand Piano - Help Needed

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jonathan

First Second Hand Piano - Help Needed

Post by jonathan »

I'm on the verge of buying my first acoustic piano (my digital is on its way out after a good 15 years). I've got limited space (1 bed apartment) and a small budget at 2-3k, with 3k being an absolute max.

With this in mind I've been setting my sights on a not-too-old second hand console like the Kawai K15 (at around 2-2.5k). However, I'm always a little torn when I see older studios (around 30 years) for around the same price. In terms of reliability and resalability (later down the line if I ever need to), is it a smarter choice to stick with a smaller, newer model? (I'm pretty sure that this question is a Pandora's box).

From reading around I've read that it's good to get an independent piano tech out to evaluate a piano before I sign the dotted line. How much should I expect to pay for this service? Is this still required if I go through a music store or is this more for private sales? How do I know that a piano tech is actually reputable themselves?! I don't suppose anyone has any recommendations for the Manchester area.

Thanks in advance for the help.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: First Second Hand Piano - Help Needed

Post by chrisw »

Jonathon,

I suggest that you send Barrie Heaton a private message about finding a piano tech in the Manchester area.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Thanks for the reply Chris. I've just tried to send a PM but it won't let me (I think my account is too new).
thomasc004

Post by thomasc004 »

jonathan wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 15:55 Thanks for the reply Chris. I've just tried to send a PM but it won't let me (I think my account is too new).
Hello!
This is a good forum because there are many tips and also many advices that will be very useful for me.
Thanks!