Yamaha P121 (10y old) vs U1 (30y/40y old) to purchase

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

JYG

Yamaha P121 (10y old) vs U1 (30y/40y old) to purchase

Post by JYG »

Hello,
I am contemplating the purchase of a piano for my young daughter who just started. Her piano teacher advises me to buy an acoustic piano. Ideally my budget is c.£3,500.
What would be your advice between:

- a 10-year old Yamaha P121N UK made (serial number E3xxxxx) sold by a UK professional shop with a 5-year local warranty;

- a second hand U1 either in the late 80s/very early 90s sold by a UK professional shop with 5 year local warranty;

- a Yamaha certified reconditioned U1 in the mid 70s sold by an authorised Yamaha dealer with a Yamaha 5-year warranty?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Jean-Yves
Feg

Re: Yamaha P121 (10y old) vs U1 (30y/40y old) to purchase

Post by Feg »

Hi, Jean-Yves

I've deleted two of your three posts on the above topic. Moderation of new posts is done when one of the moderators logs in so, the next time you post, please be patient until one of us can approve your post/reply.

Many thanks

Fiona
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Yamaha P121 (10y old) vs U1 (30y/40y old) to purchase

Post by chrisw »

Yamaha pianos are robust and should last a very long time. If all of these pianos were in exactly the same condition then the choice hinges on the sound it makes and the response of the keyboard to fingers.

A friend purchased a reconditioned Yamaha U3 about five years ago and has been very happy with it. The first two pianos you mention are not said to be reconditioned so I would try to gauge how much they have been used. Also has the third piano had any use since reconditioning ? You should consider commissioning a piano tuner technician to assess whatever you choose.

Is there a reason why your shortlist only contains Yamahas? Have you had an opportunity of looking at Kawai pianos?

What is your daughter using to practice on at the moment ? If possible take your time making a choice, there are always good Yamaha U1's available to purchase