Choosing a new piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Phrasemaker

Choosing a new piano

Post by Phrasemaker »

Hi,

I'm planning on buying an acoustic piano for my 12 year old daughter. She is currently playing a Yamaha CVP 409 which I bought new and has recently had a new set of rubber contacts and felts replaced. It plays very well.

We're going to keep the CVP 409 as it's handy for all kinds of things that an acoustic piano won't do.

Ideally I'm looking for a small grand piano around six feet in length to provide my daughter with a more organic playing experience. I don't want to spend money for the sake of it. The piano needs to have a great action which will last her to her early twenties and beyond.

I don't mind new or used. I'm prepared to wait a while if I need to go to my upper limit of £20,000 which would be a massive strain. As a family we have discussed it and are all happy to make sacrifices.

Yes, less cost would be good but we don't want to get something which she'll possibly grow out of as we would like to get it right in terms of what we buy.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards

Tim
Feg

Re: Choosing a new piano

Post by Feg »

Hi, Tim

Do you have a budget in mind?

Fiona
Phrasemaker

Post by Phrasemaker »

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for replying. I have a sensible budget of £12,000 which is attainable within months and a life altering in the short term; if really needed upper limit of 20,000.

Many thanks

Tim
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I expect a piano to last a lifetime and so my preference has been to buy new and I would have four makers in mind; Kawai, Yamaha, Feurich and Cavendish.

Cavendish are British pianos made in small numbers by Yorkshire Pianos at a place between Skipton and Harrogate. I have been really impressed with their grand pianos, in particular the care they take getting the best tone out of their instruments and in general preparing the piano to the customer's needs. Information is available on the internet.

Feurich is an Austrian company that have their pianos made to a high standard in China. If buying a Feurich I would purchase from a retailer who would be prepared to voice and regulate the piano to my needs. Roberts Pianos in Oxford will probably do this. Marcus Roberts has posted numerous videos on Youtube with information about their pianos.

Yamahas and Kawais are robust pianos. Again I would want the retailer to prepare the piano for me before taking delivery, rather than just ship it straight from the factory or warehouse.

I would be aware of buying a second hand piano where the sellers tells me it will be good for twenty years or so, or one used by a professional musician or piano teacher.

I have often wondered about upgrading my upright piano for a smallish grand but never taken the plunge mostly because I fear it would overcrowd our dining room.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Some piano shops offer an upgrade service whereby they promise to pay you back what you paid for your piano that you bought from them, less the VAT and knock it off the price of the next piano you get from them. That way you can spend a sensible amount of money and hedge your bets in case she ever gives up or changes to the ophicleide or something. Not sure where you are in the country but PM me and I can let you know about these dealers if you're interested.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Phrasemaker

Post by Phrasemaker »

Many thanks Chrisw,

Really appreciate your advice.

You've actually addressed an important concern I have in respect of used vs new. I appreciate that an aged, restored piano in good order made by one of the prominent makers will have a tonality from the various wooden parts providing character which is not going to be easily replicated by a modern instrument.

My 12 year old daughter plays every day for at least two hours so the instrument we buy would need to be able to provide ten years or more of reliable service with hopefully only occasional calibration of the action and regular tuning.

Voicing and regulation carried out by the retailer prior to delivery is certainly something I'd be interested in. Thank you for pointing out that Roberts Pianos, can possibly undertake such work.

My biggest fear is buying an expensive used piano is that it could be high maintenance and any parts it might need going forward could be costly.

I have today spent a good few hours reading and watching reviews about the makers you have mentioned. The Feurich 179 – Dynamic II appears to tick a lot of boxes and is the perfect size. The Kawai and Yamaha also appear to have a lot going for them. My daughter played a Kawai GL10 at retailer near to where we live and we both decided we wouldn't be buying one. The GX series look to be a step up with hike in price to match. I imagine that range would offer what we are looking for as would the similarly priced Yamaha pianos.

A you say a grand piano is going to require space, we are going to have to make space and it will kind of take over part of our house.

Many thanks.

Gill the Piano,

Thank you for replying. You've certainly provided another aspect of purchasing to be considered. A few years back it would have been a great option and maybe so now depending upon what we find when go out and my daughter plays some of the instruments we have on our short list once it's compiled.

I'm hoping to buy something good once; hence the deliberation. And although we need it asap so she can progress while playing a piano as close as we can afford to get in terms of how it plays to what she might play if she makes a career of it. Upgrading could be a useful path.

I might well take you up on your offer of PMing you to get some more info re dealers. I have way more to ponder today than I did before I posted, so very happy I signed up here.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Tim