sticking keys

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mikwin

sticking keys

Post by mikwin »

As a complete pianoforte tyro ,I would be grateful for some advice. The problem is as follows.
When I play D sharp just above middle C, this then causes the key of E to activate also.
The key of E can be restored to the non-playing position by some force downwards when D sharp hammer remains in the striking position.If get all keys in playing position, then I can playC,D,E and F with no reaction from D sharp.
I have tried numerous cures from the internet involving foreign objects, bent pins,tight pins due to felt problems, ensuring correct alignment of oval head front pins , keyboard interference from front rail and squirting silicon spray in numerous possible sources of trouble but to no avail.
I should add that I am attempting to get the instrument playing again under my own steam really as a project for my dotage. The innards of the instrument are fascinating and were a complete mystery to me despite years of playing.
Gill the Piano

Re: sticking keys

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well since you are going to need the piano tuner, why not let your tuner sort it out - sounds as if you've exhausted everything we might suggest! The keys themselves might have twisted and be touching, or the key leads might have oxidised and be touching. Let the tuner have a look.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
gushiwen

Re: sticking keys

Post by gushiwen »

The keys need repair