Kawai BS-10 soundboard

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Alan k75

Kawai BS-10 soundboard

Post by Alan k75 »

Dear all,

I just purchased a used Kawai BS-10 piano but I realized the back panel where the soundboard is does not have any vertical wooden frame at all. Although the staff assures me this is typical of BS-10, I just can't get over it as all other brands or models have some form of vertical frame or cross frame

I tried to search photo of BS-10 soundboard/back frame photo but to no avail.

Hope someone can help me here. Thank you in advance.
Alan k75

Re: Kawai BS-10 soundboard

Post by Alan k75 »

I forgot to mention there are no small strips of wood on the soundboard itself either which is again strange to me.

I am new to piano what's more a used piano and any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The posts are called bracings and many makers did not put them on in the 60 - 80s to save money and space. They do make the tuning more stable in a changing environment and if you move the pian across a room.

The diagonal strips are called Ribs they transmit sound across the grain on the soundboard and support the crown

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Barrie,
If braces are absent from the rear of the piano, surely the frame must be supported somehow from inside the cabinet, presumably the sides. I think I would be more worried about the absence of ribs on the soundboard. Is it possible that at the back of this piano is covered with a wooden panel ?

Photographs of the rear and the front of the frame with the cabinet front removed would perhaps be helpful (?).
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

photo is useful
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page