Grotrian-steinweg

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

davw1963

Grotrian-steinweg

Post by davw1963 »

Dear readers,

Would you recommend buying a Grotrian Steinweg grand either 5'4'' or 6'4''? It would be a new model.

any thoughts. . . .

many thanks,

David W. :D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have never worked on a new one However, all the ones I have tuned are very good most are over 50 years old, they are very well made and stay in tune well. All are grands never seen an upright. I would go for the 6.4 if it was me.

As to the tone and touch that is up to you I do like the tone to me they have a nice rich bass and good mid range the top treble is good on some of the ones I work on but not so good on others but that is an age thing

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
davw1963

Post by davw1963 »

Dear B.

Thanks ever so much for your reply!

Your words help strengthen my resolve to go for the 6'4'' too!

All the best,

David W. :)
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

Like Barrie I have tuned a few of these pianos, again grands not uprights and they do stay well in tune.

I have someone re-conditioning one for a long-standing customer of mine who has been impressed with his piano. The treble is currently very weak but this is due to the hammers being well used/worn. I look forward to tuning the piano again when the work has been done.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
davw1963

Post by davw1963 »

Dear Chris,

thanks very much for your reply re: Grotrian Steinweg.

My experience with the new grands is that the treble is way too loud!. . . .an needs voicing down. .ha ha....thats the beauty of pianos I guess.

Cheers!

David W.