Heard of Volkner piano? Any good?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Jasi

Heard of Volkner piano? Any good?

Post by Jasi »

Hi,
I have a Volkner piano but can't find any information on this brand via Google. Can you tell me anything about them?
I am considering buying a new piano but don't know if the Volkner is worth anything or not.
Thanks for any reply.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heard of Volkner piano? Any good?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Never come across one who is selling them

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Never heard of that name.... look up "Stencil Piano" on Google.

For some basic information, and possibly to see if the piano may be worth a follow-up inspection by a piano retailer/ tuner for its value, upload about 3 photos of your piano here.... but this is just for general info only.
Photos taken clearly JPG / 10 X 15

1. Complete piano front including pedals, legs, lid open (no stool, nothing on top / no clutter)
2. The name/ decal "Volkner" on the fallboard including keyboard - lid must be open.
3. Front panel & fallboard removed - clear photo of internal mechanism complete/ not too far away / clear
4. Any interesting features such as panelling/ ornamentation / detail etc.

Please do not send pictures (or descriptions) of numbers / letters / crests or emblems / anything hand-written or printed (as it's an unknown piano) except No 2 decal name/ badge above.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Jasi

Post by Jasi »

Thank you Barrie and Colin for taking time to reply. Colin, I followed up your suggestion and searched for 'stencil pianos', but no Volkner was listed I will carry out further research after work. I will also attempt to take those photos, but it may be a few days before I am able to post them.
Thanks again.
Regards
Jasi
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Jasi

My intro to stencil pianos may have been misleading to you. Whichever "Stencil Piano" google page you choose, it won't list Volkner pianos - this is a generic term (usually used in the trade) to describe any piano with a made up name, or a name with spelling changes. Sometimes a retailer might add their own name, and/or if the piano has lost its original name (possibly because the French Polish has been stripped off) - this loses the stencil name, if applied as a gold decal or stencil. Some piano names reflect town/ city names or a brother's name within the same partnership.

If you are lucky, if the genuine name IS "Volkner" .... this may be printed/ stamped/ raised iron work lettering etc inside the piano, somewhere near the tuning pins.... however, it may display a different name. If this name is "cast" into the main frame, then this is likely to be the genuine name - leaving Volkner as an after-thought.

Also it depends on where you see the name? Most retailer/ wholesaler/ shop names are printed on a small decal, usually to the left or right corner of the keyboard (key slip rail behind black notes) - this sometimes has their address/ phone number aswell.... and so not the piano name. Photos may help here.

On occasions, names can be misread especially if Gothic lettering.
The only record I have of a piano name similar to yours is VOLKENING (Germany)

Try posting this to Bill on the history section - he may be able to help further.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Jasi

Post by Jasi »

Hi Colin,
Thank you again for trying to help. Your informative post did help to clarify stencil pianos and how it may help to find out about mine. I have had the top lid open and the front off. I can find no stamp, name, number or badge anywhere. Volkner is in gold stencilled letters on the underside of the piano lid that covers the keys. From my limited knowledge, the piano is overstrung and iron framed. Under damped/ over damped - I'm not sure.
I'll get the photos done this weekend.
Thanks again,
Jasi
Jasi

Post by Jasi »

Hi Colin,
Since last writing I have found out that Volkner was a stencil name used by a local shop that sold these pianos. The piano, I was told, was made in circa 1910, had been updated decades later with a plain front. Sadly, it was taken away and laid to rest. Happily, I now own a lovely Yamaha. Thank you for taking the time to solve this mystery that had me quite perplexed.
Regards,
Jasi