Kemble upright - is it worth anything

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

brian911uk

Kemble upright - is it worth anything

Post by brian911uk »

Hi,

I am posting this on behalf of a charity in Paisley who have recently been given an old piano.
It is a Kemble upright and has a retailers stamp showing WIlliam Thomson, Glasgow.

It looks very old and from other research I understand that William Thomson was "& son." after 1920.

I have attached three photographs.

thanks in advance, Brian
Attachments
MG_3293.jpg
MG_3292.jpg
MG_3291.jpg
vernon

Re: Kemble upright - is it worth anything

Post by vernon »

no
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Kemble upright - is it worth anything

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hello

You haven't said in your post what information you are seeking? Age? Condition?

Some general advice. Firstly, the decal William Thompson could have been applied many years after the piano was manufactured, and possible sold several times, so not necessarily applied when the piano was new.... so ignore that.
However the style of the lettering does look old. Kemble were established in 1911.

Photo 1: This is a stock/ cabinet number punched into the wood (facing the ceiling?), and usually stamped on the left side panel. There are no records of these numbers.... only Kemble had them. To find out the approximate age of the piano, you need to find the serial number inside by removing the front panel completely - simply turn the wooden tabs to 12 o'clock and lift/pull the panel towards you (fold the music rest away first). The serial number will be 5 digits (if a Kemble), and located near the tuning pins. Some later Kembles (i.e. Minx mini pianos) have their serial number behind the bass strings inline with the hammer heads, lower down on the edge of the gold cast iron frame. If the mechanism is under-damped (no wires at the front(, it should be visible.

Please send a photo of the serial number - properly stamped/ rubber stamp / decal in black numbers, about 2cm in height. Ignore any pencil markings / tuning dates / ignore numbers on the key tops. Remove the fallboard if needed to view the rear condition.

We cannot give valuations here, but if you attach another couple of photos of the inside mechanism/ string design, and one of the piano with the key lid (fallboard) open so we can see the name/ condition of the keys.... we may be able to give you more information.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen