Which piano to choose

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

rrrosela

Which piano to choose

Post by rrrosela »

Hi Im trying to decide among 3 upright pianos:
1) Apartment size Wm Knabe & Co, on the side there is also written Willis & co. Serial number: 151033 (id get it for free)
2) Apartment size grand piano in upright position Heintzman (on the outside it only reads Heintzman, on the inside it reads Heintzman and Co) unfortunately couldnt read the serial number but it looks like the newer ones, maybe from the 60s, same size as the Knabe (id get it for free)
3) a 250$ Haines Bros (Toronto New York, established 1851) cabinet grand serial number 48549
(the third pedal doesnt work)
I honestly like the Knabe cause its small and very cute but I wanted your opinion before moving one into my place.
Id be very grateful if you help me, can you please give me a first, second and third choice?
thank you so much!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Which piano to choose

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi
Some of your terminology and wording is a little confusing.
Firstly, there is no such thing as a 'free' piano.... you will always pay the ultimate price later.

You mention you are deciding among "3 upright pianos", but the 2nd and 3rd pianos are grands?

What does "Apartment" size mean?? .... uprights are measured in inches or cm (height), grands in feet & inches (length)

I am unable to recommend any piano just by its name and serial number.... the names you mention seemed reputable in their early days, but who knows what condition they are in now. I would avoid any free piano, and one with faults or broken pedals. Which is the 3rd pedal? Left? Middle? Right?

Might be best to get the pianos checked over first.... if free to buy, can be risky if very old. The worst thing that could happen is that a piano tuner could condemn it as untuneable, or pedal parts out of stock, depending on age of piano.

For some general advice, I (or someone else) would need to see all three pianos and their full mechanism, by attaching the advertised link for each piano to this forum page - showing the hammers, strings, tuning pins, and wording of the advert..... just to give some idea about condition.

If you are a beginner on the piano, and just for fun.... then take the risk and get the one you like. :)
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen