Knight vs kemble vs danemann grand piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

And36y

Knight vs kemble vs danemann grand piano

Post by And36y »

Hi,
I currently own a wonderful little knight K20 upright. I'm in the process of having a garage coversion to turn into a music room and I will have the dedicated space for a small/medium grand and so am toying with changing my knight out. I know knight used to also make baby grands but i can't find any real info about them. Are they as good as their uprights? As for danemann/kemble i would be looking at a 60"s, 70"s model 5 to 6 ft, Should I entertain a broadwood of a similar vintage? . Are these piano"s any good? Anything i need to look out for, should i stick with my knight?, or save my pennies for a 80's yamaha c3.

All responses will be greatly appreciated

Andy
vernon

Re: Knight vs kemble vs danemann grand piano

Post by vernon »

As I remember,Knights never really "did" grands. Similarly, neither did Kembles or modern Broadwoods.
However, Danemannn made superlative grands- top of the tree in 60s= 70s.
Indeed, Mr Ogden when he won the Tchaikovsky Piano prize in 70s(?) picked a Danemann for himself from all competitors.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Knight vs kemble vs danemann grand piano

Post by Model V »

I have played a few 60s Danemann grands. All seemed aged before their time. I suspect that, despite being quite good, they weren't made to last in the way some of the German ones were. Someone on here did up a concert grand a year or 3 ago with stunning results iirc, so they've probably got potential.

I know Ogdon owned a pair of D Steinways in his London home.