George Rogers and Son Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

cjdutton

George Rogers and Son Piano

Post by cjdutton »

Hi, I have inherited an upright George Rogers and son piano in reasonable condition (kept in constant environment and was regularly tuned). It has the serial # 50281. It will cost me £560 to ship to my home in Canada. It has no great sentimental value and so is it worth it? Many thanks, Chris.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: George Rogers and Son Piano

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi Chris
Welcome to the UK Piano forum.
Some general information which may be helpful.

I presume the piano is in the UK?
Rogers are good pianos if well looked after, the serial number suggests 1974.
If you don't have any sentiments for the piano, and if it would just take up space in your home, then perhaps sell it to the trade or a local piano shop near the piano; quick sale, piano removed - job done. If you have a friend or relative in the UK to organise it.

Pianos are rarely kept in a "constant environment" unless it is fitted with a piano climate control system/ humidifier/ dampp chaser (spelt with 2 ps)..... and regularly monitored on paper as proof. Regular tuning is only one small aspect of piano servicing and maintenance.... and depends when it was last tuned.

I am estimating that you will probably break even or lose some money if you sell it in Canada.... and unfortunately we don't know the piano market from your end of the ocean. It should sell quite quickly here in the UK through a shop. Rogers are neat little pianos and popular in most family homes.

We can't give valuations or "what's it worth?" here on the forum.... you will need to make an appointment with a piano technician who is qualified to assess the condition (face to face), partly tune the piano for pin torque tests, and inspect the mechanism, strings etc in some detail. We usually express "reasonable condition" to the cabinet casework only, and less attention and status to the internal workings.

As an idea of value, have a look on the UK version of Ebay and Gumtree for similar pianos.
The light oak casework is not very popular these days, and out of fashion - but pianos are steady.

Hope that helps

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen