Yamaha U1 or Kawai K50

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

fleurdelise

Yamaha U1 or Kawai K50

Post by fleurdelise »

Hi All,

New to this forum but I need some advice, apologies if I am in the wrong place or asking the wrong question.

I am doing my research about buying a used upright piano for my daughter and we want to buy the best one for our budget of course.

The dealer where we looked at some pianos has some beautiful Kawai and Yamaha pianos.

I know there is a matter of which one we prefer from a sound point of view however what would you do: buy a 15 years old Kawai K50 or a Yamaha U1 around 26-30 years old?

Thank you!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha U1 or Kawai K50

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Both are good makes but for me it the 15 years old Kawai K50 nicer sound in the mid range

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
vernon

Post by vernon »

Were the ages even similar , the Kawai every time.
However, the answer is in your use of the word "personally" What you like is what is important.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
fleurdelise

Post by fleurdelise »

Thank you for your answers.

We'll go and look at both pianos, the only thing that puzzles me is the age difference and the fact they are priced the same. So the u1 (30 years old) priced as the Kawai K50 that is 15 years old. So does it mean that the u1 holds its value better? Does it mean that the U1 is lasting longer?

Ultimately we will choose what dd thinks that it sounds better but I will influence her accordingly if you all believe it is more important to get a "younger" piano and that the Kawai is a better piano.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

fleurdelise wrote:Thank you for your answers.

We'll go and look at both pianos, the only thing that puzzles me is the age difference and the fact they are priced the same. So the u1 (30 years old) priced as the Kawai K50 that is 15 years old. So does it mean that the u1 holds its value better? Does it mean that the U1 is lasting longer?

Ultimately we will choose what dd thinks that it sounds better but I will influence her accordingly if you all believe it is more

important to get a "younger" piano and that the Kawai is a better piano.
Yams get a better price because they are more popular thats it, not better just better known, but that will change. Excluding the chinese pianos 10 years ago 80% of new pianos I tuned where Yamaha, this year I have tuned more new Kawai pianos than Yamahas still get the new chinese pianos

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

Kawai and Yamaha make pianos of similar quality and although Yamaha has better brand recognition, Kawai has established an excellent reputation for both customer support (especially with their new pianos) and innovative technology in piano construction.

A general principle in purchasing pianos is that newer or younger is better. Yet, there can be huge variation in the condition of used pianos and we need to assess each piano according to its own merits and weaknesses. You should also be guided by which instrument appeals to you more.

I wish you well in your choice between these two pianos.

Robert.
I love the piano and its music.
fleurdelise

Post by fleurdelise »

Thank you all! In this case we chose the U1. We went to the piano dealer convinced we will get the Kawai however after trying several U1 and the K50, one u1 stood out with a mellow tone and just sounded like it was the one for my daughter and myself also.

Can't describe the sound but with the same piece played on several pianos this one was the only one that made my heart race.

Thank you, again!
foxpianotuning

Post by foxpianotuning »

Yeah the U1 will hold its value better. Id probably have gone for the Kawai but you will sell a Yamaha a lot quicker if you ever fancy upgrading.
vernon

Post by vernon »

I've never had a secondhand Kawai offered as they're like gold dust here.
Plenty of Yamahas tho
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk