early 1800's pianoforte

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Marke7981

early 1800's pianoforte

Post by Marke7981 »

Greetings, I just recently purchased an 1820's Pianoforte made in New York by David Grim. It is of a square design and approx 6 octaves. The piano will have to be completely gone through with alot of restoration and refabrication. I have piano rebuilding experience but only with the modern designs. I need to be in contact with experts in the field as I progress etc... for inside info on how these early ones are put together and operate....Anyone out there that can be of help? Thanks Mark
vernon

Re: early 1800's pianoforte

Post by vernon »

You will definitely need guidance BEFORE you start dismantling things.
The belly is probably distorted, possibly with a collapsed crown.. The hammers are usually covered in leather. The keys will be lime wood and usually some warping.
The" ivories" may be thick bone and the fronts boxwood.. Of course the hinges are vellum for which you need a special saw.. Most important, the strings are brass and iron-not steel, unless someone has already altered them and ruined the piano.
Lucy Coad Restorations is the person I would recommend.Not much she doesn't know and she has all the correct materials.
bw
vk
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
vernon

Post by vernon »

Don't forget that if there is no iron frame -work, then the CASE is the frame and takes all the strain so it has to be rigid
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Marke7981

Post by Marke7981 »

Great....thanks so much for the information....I just packed it to my home last night so I have not even peeked in it really at all. I am going to take it slow and take pictures etc...how everything is at present....Looks like many of the hammers are either missing or the velum or actually looks like kidd leather in this case has rotted away, but possibly they are in the belly of the beast...How do you actually get to the action....obviously in a modern grand everything slides out....or possibly they are all different...Thanks again. Mark