Steel string size table of Collard & Collard grand 1890's

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Louis

Steel string size table of Collard & Collard grand 1890's

Post by Louis »

Hi every body,

I have a Collard & Collard grand piano 1890's. I want to replace new steel strings (all rust, rotten and almost missing ) by myself, but i don't know what their sizes so I am looking for a steel string size table to do. If someone has this please send it to me or tell me where can i find? I 've had a bass string set already (copper string)
Many many thanks.

Louis
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Steel string size table of Collard & Collard grand 1890'

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Hi Louis

very few makes have a table of what they used, some makes pencil it on the bridge
you will need to mic each string to work out the paten, or use a computer program to work out the best harmonic curve.

their are lots of MWG to mm tables on the net to work out what size you need to order. one you have your pattern

Is it a threaded pin Collard if it is you will have fun

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

A few suggestions & pointers that may help....

If you intend to re-string all the treble, you should loosen the tension off the bass strings, to prevent damaging or movement from the soundboard/ rims & bridge pins.... however this is risky on an old piano for two reasons >>
1. Risk of tuning pins becoming too loose for re-tension.
2. Risk of breaking bass strings (even happens when taking off tension) - where they coil around tuning pins.
Recommended to take a pattern of the bass strings and send off to a bass string maker.

If just the treble.... the dampers will need to be removed, and the felt replaced. Also if the wires are threaded, recommended to fit & tap 3.8mm / 0.7 pitch grub screws.... quite a big job.
Hammers should also be re-faced if there is enough felt on them.

Are you replacing the wrest pins?
Have you checked the condition of the pin torque and wrest plank to see if it will re-string?

If you paid peanuts for the piano, then have a go.... nothing to lose.

As Barrie says, the only way is to remove a string, and measure it with micrometers- best place is where the string 'hides' under or between voicing felt.

Finally, if the strings pass under the cast frame (capo bar), check with a mirror to see if the pressure bar is one complete cast unit.... if separate brass strips are concreted in.... loads of fun putting them back in.... some Challen grands have this arrangement, but not sure about Collard.

You may be advised to book a piano technician for a couple of hours to point you in the right direction. Also string gauges depend on the length of the grand.... some start with 13 gauge, others starts with 13.5 gauge.

Hope that helps.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
vernon

Post by vernon »

You'll definitely need to gauge every string if the size isn't marked on the plank or frame.
We do them marked mwg with swg on the back
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I've just spent a few hours today removing 111 years of thick dust, grime, bug droppings etc on the grand I'm working on - previously removed the wrest pins and had to guess a change of gauge on the break because strings were so rusty.... and then today.... AHA! .... wiped the frame clean .... and discovered all the gauge numbers neatly drawn on in black fountain pen (or quill!) .... and pencil lines showing the start and end of each gauge. Amended the stats. Dead chuffed.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen