Can You See Any Major Issue Here?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

evamar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Can You See Any Major Issue Here?

Post by evamar »

Hello, I am trying to buy a Kawai 1969 Console piano, 105cm high, and although I left a deposit the seller is getting a bit impatient as I need to sell my digital first. Also, for her if it sounds it is perfectly fine, but I know that there are thousands of parts and many things that could be very wrong. I am trying to get a technician to have a look at it but they are fully booked and the snow is not helping getting a quick visit.

I have tried and I really like the touch and sound, it was last tuned 2 years ago but it is in tune within itself, no funny odd sounding notes. All keys responsive and lovely medium action. I couldn't find any walk away issue: no cracks in harp, bridges or soundboard, no staining around the tuning pins, but I can see a bit of rust here and there. We are talking around £500 for the piano and delivery, so if the maintenance comes to around £300-£350 I would be very happy.

Could you please have a look at these photos and let me know if you can see anything funny -and costly- to fix? I understand that it will need a couple tunings and also regulation, cleaning and some damping felt changing, which would be quite normal for its age. I mean something really scary.

Many thanks!
IMG_1863.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1871.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Can You See Any Major Issue Here?

Post by Colin Nicholson »

looks Ok.... from the photos, but that's just a visual look - won't tell anyone if something is wrong.
If the structure is OK.... and you've tested the tuning pins, should be fine.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
evamar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by evamar »

Hi Colin, many thanks for your answer. It seems that it was in the Bermuda for some years, then it was brought to the UK. It didn't smell of mould when opened, this would have made me walk away directly.

Thanks all for your answers.
evamar
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by evamar »

Many thanks Colin!

It did play well, good action and the sound was good, tuned within itself, so hopefully everything is okay.
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

I agree with Colin. A quick look at the photos doesn't throw up any immediately obvious issues. But you should be looking at possible wider issues.
Picking up from one of your comments, "I have tried and I really like the touch and sound", begs the question 'how many pianos have you tried during your search, and for how long?'
There are 3 combined issues that would personally hold me back:
i) Signs of corrosion on the strings (on it's own not a 'stopper', but it would bug me).
ii) The size. 105cms is a pretty small upright with a sound to match. Are you familiar how a larger upright generally gives a fuller, more pleasing sound?
iii) Piano not in tune! Fine for many first-time inexperienced buyers, but this to me would be totally unacceptable. I've never found it possible to have a reasonable appreciation of a piano that isn't in tune. Imho it's akin to taking a test-drive with flat tyres, and/or ignition timing out. I'd tell the seller this, and say that you are unable to make a meaningful decision until the piano is tuned - obviously at their charge. Otherwise walk away. Be aware it's a buyers market, most folks can't give their pianos away these days.
Please keep us updated.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I have noticed the damper felt.... note F9 in the bass has part of the felt missing? This is called 'clip' (concave) felt for bass single strings.... and seems unusual part of it is missing for the age of the piano. Perhaps take the action out and check behind, especially both felts (top & bottom) for F9 and others for any insect damage?

If you remove the action yourself, make sure you disconnect the sustain pedal lift rod from the crank lever's rubber grommet first (left side rear).... or ask a tuner to do it.

Although it has wrest pin bushings, you should have the pin torque checked.... especially if been in a warm and possibly humid climate. Also check inside the bottom of the piano/ bass bridge & pins/ voicing felt.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen