Clicky wrest pins...

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gill the Piano

Clicky wrest pins...

Post by Gill the Piano »

...on otherwise nice Grotrian Steinweg grand, from tenor break almost to the treble one. Is there any remedy other than a new wrest plank?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Clicky wrest pins...

Post by Colin Nicholson »

if plank contaminated & old (eg pin tite) .... not usually remedied.... however a risky job could be to replace offending pins and brush French chalk on threads (talc).... it cured a Bechstein but having said that, it was re-strung at the same time. One of those 50/50 chances jobs to warn customer.... :?:
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I suggested a restring along with new wrest plank - but moving the piano entails a crane and a window! I explained that several unisons were uneasy compromises and I expect he'll settle for that. I could try my old mentor's trick of tuning over pitch as close as poss then stretching the string with a split stick...
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

Would it worth trying CA/Superglue treatment on one or two pins to see if that might do the trick (even if Pin-Tite or something has already been used)?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I think discretion is the best part of valour. There is an excellent local(ish) technician who has forgotten far more about pianos than I shall ever know...if the client is that worried, I may recommend his services.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:I think discretion is the best part of valour. There is an excellent local(ish) technician who has forgotten far more about pianos than I shall ever know...if the client is that worried, I may recommend his services.

Ron Bird (IMIT PTA) is very good at restringing and is happy to do it on site anywhere in the UK

if the plank will take it, then it should be reamed out first. However, that will mean putting oversized pins in and that can be just as big a pain for stable tuning than clicky pins Myself I would say a new plank is they way to go. as to moving the piano that no biggy for the likes of Piano Logistics who have cranes built in the trucks.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

Withindale wrote:Would it worth trying CA/Superglue treatment on one or two pins to see if that might do the trick (even if Pin-Tite or something has already been used)?
BTW I had this post and the owner's bank balance in mind:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre ... ost2356168.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There is already a sprinkling of oversized pins in the wrest plank, which would imply that there have been all sorts of problems for a long time. A few are too loose but the central section is the evil bit...
It's not the restring in situ that I was thinking of, more the lifting out of the frame and insertion of the new plank.
Thanks for the link - I shall have a look!
vernon

Post by vernon »

regarding rubbing down recalcitrant strings to pitch with a split stick, I would inform you that there is already a special tool for the job ........ the plastic box that houses yer Papps wedge.
Fully recommended,material of the exact texture and lubricity.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I always lose the boxes. I was taught to use them as a rough key dip guide too... Can the wedge box get a good enough grip on the string? I have visions of simply slipping off it sideways. And that's BEFORE I have a pint.
vernon

Post by vernon »

Fear not.
Mr Papps has formulated the plastic of his wedge boxes very specifically.
It will allow of a small groove when first used but the groove does not wear and ensures the new tool does not digress from it's proper course onto a lateral path that could could cause curses and scratches on the soundboard and result in a dreadful zeugma.

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Withindale
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Withindale »

I can recognise a clicky wrest pin but how do you do tell a recalitrant string that needs rubbing down to pitch? Or am I missing a point?
Last edited by Withindale on 30 Jan 2015, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
vernon

Post by vernon »

When tuning with clicky pins, you often get a "recalcitrant" string that clicks up in pitch past where it should be and when you try to drop it the click takes it down too low and it will keep doing it ad infinitum.
So, Gill the Piano and I take the string above where it should be then rub the string with the aforementioned artifact and it will gradually go into tune saving much time and Prozac

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk