Just had my ATCL exam!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

lauratsoi

Just had my ATCL exam!

Post by lauratsoi »

I have just did my ATCL recital exam today.. I'm not sure if I can pass it or not :(
I played well at home and in lessons and my piano teacher even said there is a chance that I could pass with distinction
but then I was too nervous today and I feel that I was not playing well..
In the first two pieces I played (Bach Partita No.1 and Beethoven Sonata Op.10 No. 1), my left hand skipped a phrase in each and in the Sonata, there were a few wrong notes on my right hand too. I didn't stop and kept playing, but that made me even more nervous that I don't know if I had lost the tempo or what :(
But then after that I got more relaxed and the next three pieces (Chopin, Brahms, Debussy) were fine, there were a little minor wrong notes but then I think other than that everything was fine
What makes me worried is the mistakes I made in the first two pieces :( Surely I had never made such mistakes at home practices before and I am afraid that I may fail the exam..
I know that the exam is not the most important thing in music, but the exam fees is really expensive and I really wish that I could pass :(
I want to know that if I could pass or not, and if not, is there any ways to deal with the nervousness in exams? I really don't want to make the same mistakes next time :(
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Just had my ATCL exam!

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi Laura (assuming this is your name?)
Welcome to the UK piano forum.

It is always an anxious moment waiting for exam results.... especially diploma status that cost an arm and a leg to enter in for.

No one here will be able to tell you if you have passed or not.... and if I could, you would be writing out a large cheque addressed to me !!

There was a similar subject posted recently for LTCL (the next exam up from ATLC) .... and joseph gave a very good and constructive reply >>> http://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-forum ... =3&t=11378

Nerves always play an important part of piano performances, and some suffer more than others.
I'm sure that you have discussed with your teacher.... but controlling nerves can be helped by:-

1. Playing a lot in public/ recitals/ festivals
2. Recording and playing back your playing
3. Youtube videos/ play back / compare
4. Entering into the music in an analytical way - discussing form/ style/ key changes etc....

I'm not sure how strict they will be with the marking.... 60% pass mark? .... but we all wish you success, and let us know your result.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen