Piano too loud

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

kitara
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Piano too loud

Post by kitara »

Hello,

I've been a lurker on this forum on and off for a couple of years now. I have been saving for a while and I finally purchased by beautiful used piano which I took delivery of yesterday.

The room I have it in is full of wooden cupboards and laminate flooring and the piano is sooooo loud in there. Will hanging curtains and putting a rug in the room absorb some of the sound or is there any other way to make it a little less loud.

Thank you for any advice. :)
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Piano too loud

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Congratulations on your piano arrival.

I had similar problems when I moved house recently, but easily sorted.
General 'soft' furnishings will help/ sofa/ curtains/ rugs/ pictures etc.... however, if laminated flooring is directly under the piano, then buy a rug approx. 150cm X 200cm and get two strong fellas to lift the piano to put the rug in place.
Also try cutting out carpet squares and put under each castor.... will reduce some of the sound transmission.

Obviously if the room is still empty, it will sound like a yawning hippo ....

hope that helps

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
kitara
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by kitara »

Thank you so much for the reply Colin. I had considered buying a rug to go in the middle of the floor but didn't think about buying a large one and standing the piano on it. I have only used a digital piano before which I always played on low volume and now my beautiful new piano is bouncing off every wall, its even loud with the practice pedal.

I have saved hard and waited a long time for this piano and nothing gives me greater joy than sitting and playing the songs I've always loved. I spent my whole life yearning to play and now I am blessed that I can afford a lovely piano and regular lessons and also that I can give my children the opportunity to play too, they will be taking their grade 1 and the end of November and I'm terrified on their behalf. I, on the other hand can't face exams so I'm happy playing for enjoyment.

Thanks for the advice. :D
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

The rug should help quite a bit. At the moment, your laminated flooring is acting as one big soundboard, helping to amplify the sound even more. Most of the sound will transmit & bounce off the floor directly below the piano, some carpet patches would help. Piano castors also transmit sound, so to deaden some of the sound, try some carpet squares/ with or without underlay (possible under castor cups).

I've heard stories about people wedging a mattress behind the piano!. Also sound proofing panels help - behind the piano/ against the wall. It may take a few weeks to adjust your touch on the piano - but you will soon get used to it.

Good luck with the exams too.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You could get your Tuner to Tone the piano to the room

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Lauren295
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Lauren295 »

well said Barrie.!
veronikaor

Post by veronikaor »

Yes you are right that curtains and rugs will definitely absorb the sound. And use the dark colours for better results
vernon

Post by vernon »

Bear in mind most of the sound energy comes out of the back of the piano.Ergo, if you muffle that discretely with a quilt or any insulation(eg loft insulation-- the sort that comes in sealed silver bags . Wickes/B&Q.)
Don't make it too permanent as I am confident that as you get back into playing, you will gradually peel away the mufflers!
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk