Estonia Model 168

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Mikey_1982

Estonia Model 168

Post by Mikey_1982 »

Hi Folks,

Its been awhile since I last posted, but I'm still looking to get a small Grand Piano (<6ft) and I have read some good reviews/reports about Estonia pianos (mainly US based).
I understand that I would have to import from factory however the prices are reasonable ex-works and I wondered whether to make a trip over to see for myself.
I have also looked at a Schimmel C169 (new) and I really liked this piano but not the price tag :lol:
Considering that the Schimmel is almost double the price would it warrant the extra over the Estonia Model 168?
*Please no suggestions for Japanese/Korean pianos*

Many thanks,
Mike
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Estonia Model 168

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Estonia models have come a long way since the 80s when I first tuned them
Other makes to look at in the Schimmel price range and above are:
Ed. Seiler, Sauter, Ibach Sohn and Irmler by Bluthners

Also, you have Broadwood and Cavendish made in the UK more in you Estonia pricer rage

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Kaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kaj »

The Petrof pianos are also interesting.
D.J.Smith
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D.J.Smith »

I had a 2001 Estonia 168. It was a decent piano, Renner action, I particularly liked to tone and dynamic range. On the downside, the cabinetry left something to be desired.

I almost changed it for a new 190, but bought a Bluthner 6 instead. It proved to be no better than the equivalent Estonia.

They were already much improved by the Laul family by 2001. A new one now is improved again by an order of magnitude. I do not think there is another piano to touch them at twice the price.

If you buy used make sure you by one with the Laul name on it. This will be recent enough to have most of the design improvements and the vastly improved build quality.