New piano, New issues.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

tomer132246

New piano, New issues.

Post by tomer132246 »

Recently got a brand new hailun [upright], it has been 'minorly' tuned, and my issues are with the sustain pedal.
are as follows:
- some notes does'nt last while the sustain pedal is active while other do.
- its is squeaky.

my question is basicly, regarding the first issue, does a tuner fixes this problem?, or is it a job of a technichian? (cus if a tech is needed, i'd rather talk to the store who sold me this faulty piano, but if its a matter of tuning, than it is my burden to bear for a month untill i get a tuner to check it out)

*the piano was moved to our house about 2 days ago.

thank's in advance for helping, and i'm sorry for my bad English, it's not my main language.
Gill the Piano

Re: New piano, New issues.

Post by Gill the Piano »

Talk to the store and get them to send out a technician. You have paid for a useable instrument and that isn't what you have got. The piano needs to be 'prepared' properly and whilst a tuner could do these things, a tech should look at the whole thing.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
tomer132246

Post by tomer132246 »

Gill the Piano wrote:Talk to the store and get them to send out a technician. You have paid for a useable instrument and that isn't what you have got. The piano needs to be 'prepared' properly and whilst a tuner could do these things, a tech should look at the whole thing.
Thank you so much for replying Gill , thing is, tuning was'nt a part of the deal, now regarding the not "so" functioning notes with the pedal, is it the job of a tuner, or a tech?

again, thank you for replying.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill has already told you its a shop problem their cost, not yours.

But be pre warned they may send a tuner in who will just adjust the pedals so the dampers pick up sooner this will sort the problem of the none sustaining notes However, sounds like your dampers are not picking up in unison, so maker sure that the visiting tuner/Tec regulates the dampers so that they all leave the string as one, as they should.

The squeaky pedal should be a simple fix

Enjoy your piano most new pianos go out with problems these days even the very expensive ones

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

Too true Barrie, I had to do an entire regulation on one sold from a 'prestigious' shop in Knightsbridge some years ago. In years gone by,[ before my time] they would have had their own Technician come out to the customer to sort it out, or more to the point, it would not have left the shop in that condition. :cry:
David Hamilton Smith
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

If your retailer proves to be troublesome, your credit card company/bank has support in place for services paid for an not received but for the latter, you would need to act soon if the store is not going to reimburse you.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

If you buy something from a retailer, it should be "fit for purpose". You're piano obviously isn't. If the dealer doesn't make an effort to sort it out, contact your local Trading Standards representative.

If I understand correctly, the dealer in question has already dropped high-end brands to improve profit margins, so it is not surprising that they might try to skimp on preparation - but it is their responsibility to provide a fully functioning product.

If they have no piano techs of their own and your piano is in London, you could contact someone like Markson's Pianos or Yamaha Music London for contacts and see if the original retailer will pay for a service call.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

Hi Tomer,
I am sorry that you are experiencing these irritations with your new piano. It is really disappointing when a new piano arrives and there are problems which impact on our happiness and delight on receiving a new instrument.
However, the issues that you describe seem not serious and a good technician should be able put things right for you quite quickly.

It is not uncommon for any new piano, especially the higher volume production pianos, to have "teething problems" when very new and settling into a new environment. A piano needs at least a week or so to adapt to the humidity and temperature levels of its new home.
New piano strings invariably stretch and settle into their bearing points. This can account for the apparent tuning instability when the piano is new.

Play the piano regularly to help the settling in process.

Congratulations on your new Hailun piano!

Robert.
I love the piano and its music.